Pedal spring force

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 pm

How much should there be?

A few days ago I re-assembled my pedal box and I'm not certain that the spring is right. It seems to be oriented the correct way as far as I can tell, but it seems a little weak. After the initial fit I took it out and clamped the centre-tang in a vise and gave the pedal-tangs as much of a twist as I could in the direction of pedal-return, but I'm still not quite certain. With no master cylinders connected, should I be able to easily move the pedals with one finger?

The spring is, however, tight enough that I couldn't possibly pull either tang around for another winding. It took a large C-clamp to get the shaft to line up with the hole against the pressure of the centre-tang as is. I did try a small amount of shimming between the centre-tang and the box wall and that helped a little bit, but I'd rather know for sure what is enough force before getting too deep into experiments.
Attachments
pedalbox.jpg and
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:42 pm

I had a similar problem when I had they peddle box out. I decided to remove the slack on the spring by fitting a spacer under the center tang.

I simply took a small length of u channel aluminum, 1/2" I think, filed a grove(s) so the spring would hold in place and inserted it between the spring and the peddle box.

Only driven it after the mod but everything seems good.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:22 pm

MIne wasn?t was especially stiff. Could easily push it with one finger when the masters are disconnected.i don?t see any need for it to be any stiffer!
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: