Underdash trim, Plus 2

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:46 pm

And yet, the handbrake still fouls it. It's one of those twist and pull jobbiex. Awful.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 pm

JonB wrote:And yet, the handbrake still fouls it. It's one of those twist and pull jobbiex. Awful.

Jon

I'll try and get a good shot of my under dash Tuesday AM and see how much clearance I have.
The handbrake is a poor device. Although I have to admit it does work OK at the moment,
I was investigating the possibility of a "fly off" from a Mini or Sprout.

Also the steering column alignment? I don't remember there being many spacing washers on mine. (If any!)

Our cars are very close in build time.

elan-2.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Are these underdash trims available anywhere? My +2 came without the underdash soft trims, just the vinyl covered edge trims screwed to the dash.

Failing that, anyone have a set from which they could make me some paper patterns?

Mike
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 am

Yes, but they're expensive and uncovered. I'll look them up for you.

[Edit: http://www.kelsport.net/parts/products. ... ctionID=62 - not too dear after all!]

Vince, the washers on my car don't look 43 years old. The car has a Spyder chassis, so the body's been off at least once. What's the betting that it wasn't such a good fit when reassembled?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 am

Here are some piccies to illustrate what I mean.

img_4371.jpg and
In situ with wooden blocks wedged in

img_4372.jpg and
Handbrake still fouls it.

img_4373.jpg and
Finished - not too bad.

So that'll do for now. I may replace the valence when I do the dashboard.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Here's mine for further reference. A 1974 car and as it left the factory. I haven't had any problems with the handbrake fouling the trim. If you look at the number of washers fitted to the attachment it lowers the handbrake. Also the trim is screwed in at the centre which probably helps the clearance. Jim
Attachments
p1050032.jpg and
p1050037.jpg and
p1050036.jpg and
p1050038.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Ah I noticed the washers immediately! My first thought was they were for the steering column. Swiftly followed by "no, the handbrake!". I have the screw hole too, but I think my trim is a little too far forward as I cannot get it into the hole. No matter. I must say, if that's how Lotus sent them out, I feel much better. I could have done a superior job of it, given time.

One of the improvements I did consider is to mount a length of aluminium strip along the edge of the heater valence to prevent it sticking out (it's really, really floppy and doesn't follow the edge of the heater outlet at all). Also the under dash trim we've been discussing could be shaped with a strip affixed to its back.

Maybe I should put some washers on the handbrake if they were original fit. It certainly makes sense, as there is no other way to get clearance for the knob. But... lower it, and you increase the risk of your knee hitting it in a crash. Frankly, I'd rather have the handbrake shown here, much easier to use : http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/JF_-_Brak ... brake_%2B2

I can't see a picture of our handbrake mechanism in the parts book.

Oh, mine would probably work better if I oiled it! Like everything else on the car, it's not been maintained properly.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

In 1968 I went to look at, and subsequently buy, a `64 Elan from a trader on Lancaster Mews. I`d had a `66 MGB for 6 months (and been underwhelmed) and left it near a tube station in Edgeware or somewhere. He gave us a lift back to the car in a never-seen-before and brand new +2.
How opulent and luxurious it seemed. These days, sadly, +2 trim in general seems not to have stood up to the passage of time, unlike the simpler Elan trim which is easy to keep looking smart.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Because the original was not salvageable I thought about using ally sheet covering it in foam and vinyl. Instead I opted for carpet, this is cheap carpet found in the boot area of modern cars, I bought mine from the trimmers, 75p for a 2m roll.
Held in place by wedging and Velcro. Yet to see if it stands up to the stresses when driving.
imag0024.jpg and
Trim underdash

imag0025.jpg and
Trim underdash
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 pm

jimj wrote:In 1968 I went to look at, and subsequently buy, a `64 Elan from a trader on Lancaster Mews. I`d had a `66 MGB for 6 months (and been underwhelmed) and left it near a tube station in Edgeware or somewhere. He gave us a lift back to the car in a never-seen-before and brand new +2.
How opulent and luxurious it seemed. These days, sadly, +2 trim in general seems not to have stood up to the passage of time, unlike the simpler Elan trim which is easy to keep looking smart.
Jim

Agree that +2 interiors don't wear well. The seats are like armchairs compared to the 2 seater Elan and they eventually collapse! Somehow I have managed to keep my interior looking good.
Attachments
p1040102.jpg and
p1040101.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 am

I think putting carpet under there is a good idea just for the soundproofing benefit. Nice!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: