Underdash trim, Plus 2

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello

How the dickens are you supposed to fit this poxy trim under the dashboard? I can't work it out..

img_4370.jpg and

img_4369.jpg and

img_4368.jpg and

This is as far as it'll go. It's crumbling, too, so I have tried to strengthen it with some duct tape (on the back). I need advice..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NIGELAN » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Not very helpful, but mine looked a lot like yours. I managed to refit it using tiny screws, cable ties and bits of tape. Looked okay ish until i tried to use the hand brake only to discover I had managed to put the trim my side of it, making it inaccessible. :oops: Had to take it all off again. It now sits on a shelf in my workshop where it fits quite well. One day i may have another go! Hope you do better!
Elan S4 DHC 1970
Elan +2S 130/5 1973
Excel SA 1987
NIGELAN
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Where are your curvy padded bits that screw to the dash edge?

The flat panels fit to them. (After a fashion.)
screenhunter_344-dec.-17-16.21.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:30 pm

vincereynard wrote:Where are your curvy padded bits that screw to the dash edge?

The flat panels fit to them. (After a fashion.)
ScreenHunter_344 Dec. 17 16.21.jpg

That much I knew.. I just cannot see how to slide this panel into place. Could you take a picture of your driver's footwell, looking up at the panel, please? Might give me an idea as to how to fit it.

Incidentally, I would get these bits in place and then attach the edge trim (which screws into the dash and the valence panel).

Love your interior Vince. Wish I'd held out for a black interior myself now.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:52 pm

The trim goes under the ignition lock /barrel. Which goes through the LH padded trim.

The flat bit are therefore much lower than in your images. Mine are also in 2 bits, separated by the steering column.

See if this helps.
screenhunter_346-dec.-17-18.36.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Ok, so I guess what I have is a seriously deformed trim. It's a very bad design, the sort of crap I used to put on my kit car, because I didn't know how to make good trim (still don't, ha!). Let's try tomorrow!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:39 am

This trim was missing from my car when I bought it. How much difference does it make in terms of noise reduction or other benefits?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 am

Edge trim is assembled first screwed to edge of dash.
The flappy big trim is then slide up over the inside top edge of edge trim. Screw put through flappy trim into tunnel just below heater outlet + screw through trim into footwell near hand brake.Last screw through edge trim into flappy trim clip.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:49 am

That makes sense, thanks Alan.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 am

The Veg wrote:This trim was missing from my car when I bought it. How much difference does it make in terms of noise reduction or other benefits?

I would think very little. Might protect your knees slightly in a crash, but it is mostly cosmetic. The main benefit being to close off the area behind the dash where the heater output pipe and all those wires are.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 am

As Alan says, padded edge trim screws to dash first, then attach under dash trim to that & work from there. Mine is still in one piece, just, & still fitted as per factory, if you get really stuck, I'll try to take some pic's of the screw locations but that'll mean digging her out from winter hibernation :lol:

JonB wrote:
The Veg wrote:This trim was missing from my car when I bought it. How much difference does it make in terms of noise reduction or other benefits?

I would think very little. Might protect your knees slightly in a crash, but it is mostly cosmetic. The main benefit being to close off the area behind the dash where the heater output pipe and all those wires are.

Actually when I drove mine without the trim in place it made a very noticeable difference to the amount of noise transmitted into the car. The gap between dash & bulkhead must create a sort of 'sound box' which the trim effectively puts a cap on & dampens out. Mine do have a thin layer sound proofing glued to the back though, something I've only seen in a couple of other +2's. Maybe that's why they are still just about intact ?

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting. I was thinking that, as the trim doesn't cover all the bulkhead, some noise would inevitably get through.

I have a problem with noise in my Elan. I will be sorting the bulkhead grommets out soon, probably by gluing some neoprene patches around each grommet (which would seal up against the loom / cable / whatever is passing through the bulkhead, and look reasonably original).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Interesting indeed. Leaving the floppy trims off made no discernible difference to Toad.

Maybe it's a Lotus thing - some do, some don't.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Right, then. After a lot of grunting, twisting, losing tools and other senior moments, I have it sorted. Key to this was the flat platform on top of the handbrake mechanism, about an inch square. It's in precisely the right place to wedge a piece of wood between it and the top trim. It holds it in a good position that alllowed me to adjust and fiddle about until it was good a fit as possible (given the state of it).

So that's the interior sort of reassembled. Binnacle and steering wheel also fitted ready for the first drive (when I get my uprights)!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Look on the bright side - you are getting an education.

You're not likely to forget how to do it now.

Think how bored you would have been if it was easy!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: