Stupid question....boot release, where?

PostPost by: phunter121 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Please could someone tell me where the boot release is on a +2?
Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm

On the driver's 'B' post if it's a remote mechanism.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 am

Yes, on the B post once you have opened the drivers side door (so near the striker plate for the door handle etc). Should be a T handle.
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: phunter121 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am

Great thanks.

....and the bonnet release is on the dashboard...yes?
Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am

Mine is to the left of the steering wheel, slightly under the dashboard but not sure if they are all the same!
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: phunter121 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the help on this, it helped me asked some further questions of vendor.

By the way, the '26 years off road' story, originated prior to the current ownership. I know this because I can see it on the auction details prior to its purchase by the vendor last year.

I asked the vendor if the off road period can be supported by any documentation. This is what he said:
The MOT History of the car which can be obtained through any detailed HPI Check will show that the car hasn't had any MOTs during that time of the road, thus verifying that it hasn't been driven.
I don't know much about HPI checks, but I'm not sure this is particularly watertight?

I also asked about the brake and clutch rubbers. The response was:
Appreciate what you're saying about the clutch pedal rubbers, however, given that these would now be 44 years old from new and it had been barn stored for a significant amount of that time, there is grounds that the rubber has perished and decayed in that time regardless of use

He has also said the engine number match and has a file of receipts for work other than the engine.
Peter Hunter
phunter121
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 am

Rich135 wrote:Mine is to the left of the steering wheel, slightly under the dashboard but not sure if they are all the same!

Sounds as if your car is the same as mine, an early +2S without steering lock. It appears on later +2S with steering lock, the bonnet release is in the place where the earlier +2S ignition was - on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel between the speedo and the air vent...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 am

On my s130 it's to the right of the wheel as mentioned but I'd expect this to be mirrored on a lhd car so on the left lhd. Probably better just to say outside of the steering wheel.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Regarding the bonnet pull, I was looking at dashboards for my 1973 S130/5, in particular this one:

http://classical-dash.co.uk/product-det ... an-2s-130/

..and noticed there is no hole for the bonnet pull. On my car it is to the right of the steering column. I was wondering if a better approach might be to put it in the passenger side B-Pillar (just like the boot opener, but on the other side). This means that it would be more secure with locked doors, and not on the dashboard (where I think it doesn't belong).

It might be difficult to find and route a suitable cable, though.

Thoughts?

Cheers
JonB
Last edited by JonB on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:38 pm

overkill, inconvenient, leave it stock...
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes, probably overkill but how is it inconvenient?

The idea came from a Plus 2 I saw that had an electric boot release button in the passenger B pillar. Very neat. That car also had remote controlled central door locking...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm

The bonnet release is located, as stated to the right of the steering column (rhd) but is attached to a bracket that is attached at the bottom of the dash, so no hole should be seen in the dash. I was going to strengthen the bracket with a solid strap to the bulkhead/firewall as pulling the cable at the dash does seem a bit, well...wrong :?
If it were me, I would leave the cable where it is for quick access should you have an engine fire, I don't think running round to open the passenger door to pull the cable is what you'd want to be doing, but it's all personal choice.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Agreed - I will put it under the dash when I replace it. Not a job to be looked forward to!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:27 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:The bonnet release is located, as stated to the right of the steering column (rhd) but is attached to a bracket that is attached at the bottom of the dash, so no hole should be seen in the dash. I was going to strengthen the bracket with a solid strap to the bulkhead/firewall as pulling the cable at the dash does seem a bit, well...wrong :?
If it were me, I would leave the cable where it is for quick access should you have an engine fire, I don't think running round to open the passenger door to pull the cable is what you'd want to be doing, but it's all personal choice.

Hmmm. Must be even more variants out there. The pictures of the car on ebay that phunter121 asked about in another thread definately show the bonnet release coming out of the dashboard:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Lotus-Elan-Plus-2S-130-5-just-14-267-Miles-Twin-Cam-Absolutely-Stunning-/272944952380?clk_rvr_id=1371702020091&rmvSB=true

Maybe when moving over to steering locks Lotus used up old dashboards with the ignition hole in them?
Last edited by draenog on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Yep, mine is like that, too... unfortunately.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: