Mating body to chassi issues

PostPost by: zeca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:43 am

Hello everyone,

I did some improvments on my S4 chassi, and now I have some issues mating the body. When lowering the body it seats about 0.5cm over the front. It?s possible that the I did the rear tower to thick?

2017-01-05-10.31.24.jpg and

Best Regards
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 am

Body to chassis clearances and fit can be a challenge and chassis mods can increase the issues. The bodies varied significantly from new and they have moved and changed dimensions over the years with heat and stress and repairs. The mods you appear to have done will shift the body slightly as the front of the rear towers normally fit tight against the body so fit and clearances elsewhere may become an issue that needs some work.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:37 am

thanks Rohan,

maybe cuting the top of the tower reinforcement like this one:

avo_mods_6.jpg and
zeca
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

This is how I did mine. I low temperature silver brazed the reinforcing plates on the outside and and angle plates on the inside as buckling of the side flanges is the normal failure mode of the rear tower ears when running with hard race springs or on rough roads.

The plates were fitted to give the needed body fit with my body but all Elan bodies fit differently on the chassis so you need to assess what will work for your car. Body modifications may be better than doing the chassis mods differently.

cheers
Rohan

042.jpg and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: