Boot Letter Size

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:35 pm

I purchased a boot letter set (L O T U S) for my 69 S4 Elan a while back from Paul Matty, since my existing letters are pitted. Didn't look at the new letters particularly until just now. Something struck me as not quite right.

What I found is that the letters are shorter (vertical) and less thick (height above the body) than the originals. They basically appear skinnier and less pronounced than the originals. Haven't checked to see if the fixing posts line up with the original holes either.

The vertical measurement on the original letters is ~1.28 to 1.3 inches while the new ones are consistently 1.2 inches. You might not think a 1/10 of an inch is that much, but coupled with the overall smaller thickness makes the new ones look flimsy and not quite right. An obvious reproduction and somewhat glaring once you realize it.

Wondering if these smaller letters are basically what is available today. If so, I may have to rechrome my existing ones.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:02 pm

I just measured some replacement letters I ordered a couple years ago from Matty and they actually measure less than 1.2 inches. At the same time I ordered replacement World Championship and Indy 500 badges and bezels which did not fit together. An hour or so of intricate filing was required to get them to fit. Matty offered up a lame excuse as to why. Obviously the supplier's fault. Chris
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotustastic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I measured an S and measured right at 1.2 inches. Acquired from Dave Bean Eng. few years ago. I dont have originals to compare to. Perhaps the supplier of repros didnt account for part shrinkage in the process.

David D.
lotustastic
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Just measured mine, 30.5mm (1.2"), purchased from Matty a couple of years ago.
I can confirm they do fit ok, although the new plastic plugs have a flange which is visible on the boot surface.

I do have the originals somewhere in the garage. :roll: so will find and measure them
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I also had a problem with the Indy badge and bezel from Matty not matching up. Figured it would be a Dremel trimming job.

I do note that another supplier (RD) shows the badge being trimmed for the pins, so it may fit better as delivered.

(Not sure I'm putting the Indy badge on since it is not original to my car, but it is a "nice to have" conversation piece ).
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Guys,

Surely there is worse things going on in the world than having to file a badge?! I'm grateful there are people like Matty that are having these parts reproduced. Some parts that I have purchased do need fettling but I suppose that is the joy of owning a 50 year old hand built car. :lol:
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:39 pm

My car still has its original boot lid lettering, so I decided to measure them. Sketch attached.

John Larkin.
Attachments
dimensions-of-1967-lotus-elan-bootlid-lettering.jpeg and
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Come on guys lets get a grip now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 am

Drawing helpful as I compared to those on +2 that I took off and replaced with ones from RD and for Esprit just got from SJ and match drawing and ones off car--along with commemorative and bezel from SJ with no fiddling required. And I leave off peg plugs as you're right-they leave letters a little proud of the surface and a touch of glue doesn't. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am

SJ get their boot letters from Matty's anyway. I know for a fact they get them made after speaking with another well known supplier. I think we need to agree that they slightly differ from one set to another but they fit perfectly and I think people would moan more if there was no replacement available.

Now we can all move on with our lives. :lol: :oops:
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

yes, useful look at parts and some aspects of restoration : that is what this forum is about after all...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:43 am

godfrsa wrote:SJ get their boot letters from Matty's anyway. I know for a fact they get them made after speaking with another well known supplier. I think we need to agree that they slightly differ from one set to another but they fit perfectly and I think people would moan more if there was no replacement available.

Now we can all move on with our lives. :lol: :oops:

Sorry, but I've had experience of the badge inserts having to be 'modified' to fit the plinths, & of replacement 'LOTUS' letters being smaller than original, & I don't necessarily believe we should just accept that they are better than nothing. It can become the thin end of the wedge, where if manufactures/suppliers can get away with some parts not being to correct spec, how long will it be before everything will need considerable work to make it usable. It's a situation we seem to be encountering more & more now. Given the prices asked for some of this stuff, I believe it should be an accurate re-production of the original, & if it's not, suppliers should be made aware that we're not happy. If we bought new parts for a 2 year old car & they didn't fit, we wouldn't accept them, why should we just because the car is 50 years old ? :shock:
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Letters Of Today Usually Smaller

Sorry :lol: :oops:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:20 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Letters Of Today Usually Smaller
Sorry :lol: :oops: