Setting Bump Steer Height & Shims available...

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I am slowly building up my new chassis & today wanted to check if rack shims were needed since the Chassis did not come with shims or markings on the rack platform. In fact about 18 months ago I called Miles Wilkins to ask him why it was supplied like that & in his own ornery way he told me it did not need shims.

I measured up the Chassis rack platform to top of top spindle shafts as below:
img_7077.jpg and
Straight edge across spindles, held down with bungee
img_7078.jpg and
Block & transfer punch on rack platform, then use feeler gauges to get exact gap

Using this apparatus this gave me measurements of 6.244" one side & 6.240 the other; comparing to Buckland's 158mm gives me shims .020" one side & .024" the other. OK, all is well....

So I go to various suppliers catalogs/ web sites to see what shims are available:

Sue Miller has .002 & .010" shims
RDent has .035" & .057" shims
SJ Sportscars has .028 & .046" shims
Matty has .020 & .048" shims

So why are Sues shims so much smaller than everyone elses?

Anyone know what the tolerance is for setting the rack height, thought that I read +/- .005" somewhere? but the RDEnt, SJ & Matty shims would be to coarse to allow that.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm

You can use more than 1 shim per side...we stack them all the time in the automotive manufacturing industry. Sue gives you the ability to get it within .001...
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am

snowyelan wrote:You can use more than 1 shim per side...we stack them all the time in the automotive manufacturing industry. Sue gives you the ability to get it within .001...

Scott I realise that thanks, but that does not answer my 2 questions.

If Matty/RDent & SJ Sportscars only have thick shims, how would you get within +/-.005" if that is indeed the tolerance?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

Phil, I had the same shim question when I built up my new 26R chassis for my S1. RD only had limited size shims and they were the wrong thickness. I called Ray to inquire and he said that's all they carry and what most people need. You have done more research and found others sources. Now I know where to get the additional shims I need (by the way, I was also told I didn't need them if they didn't come with the chassis. My original chassis did not have shims on the steering rack either. But both chassis were off by a few thousands).

I had the same question, how to get within .005 tolerance.

How come your building up a new chassis?

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated on your progress.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am

Just called Sue & had a chat, her .002 & .010" shims are for the rack ball joints, not for setting the height of the rack on the chassis. She does not have the rack bump steer shims in stock...

So looks like the only shims available are .020" or thicker...

Certified Lotus wrote:How come your building up a new chassis?

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated on your progress.

Glen, my chassis has had both turrets overplated at some point (at least 10 years ago...). I'm in no hurry....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Just purchase some shimsteel ( of whatever thickness you need ) and using sharp scissors cut out your own...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Ditto. RS components did a nice pack. Sheets about 9 inch by 6.
I used them.
Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Great idea guys, I will buy shim stock .005" & .010" thick & make my own. That will get me within .0025" assuming that I can measure accurately :roll:

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!

Many Thanks
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Phil,

At risk of stirring up controversy, I came to the conclusion that I cannot detect any change in bump steer with a shim any thinner than 0.5mm (approximately 0.020"). I suggest this is why you cannot find the shims you need already cut for the purpose.

There are several articles on the web about the subject, and most seem to relate to the Lotus 7. I chose my own method, I attached a laser to the front brake disc, and projected the beam onto my garage door while moving the suspension up and down. After about a month of messing around and plotting results I came to the 0.5mm conclusion.

Along the way I noticed several things. I am using rubber bushes, and how tight the rack is bolted down affects the rack height.

The rack is stiffer than the rack platform, and my attempts to bolts the rack mounts down so that the rubber bushes were compressed and I had metal to metal contact between rack mounts and rack platform, only resulted in deflecting the platform.

My results were shims of 4.5mm left hand side and 5mm right hand side. The numbers etched onto the chassis are 0.034" left hand side a 0.084" right hand side. This is the sort of variation that I had noticed in work carried out by the Lotus 7 owners.

I find this difficult to justify. At the time our cars were current Lotus were world champion constructors, so they probably knew more about the subject than I do. Did they intentionally design in an amount of bump steer? I am only an average driver, so will probably never notice. My car is a restoration project, and my intention is to drive the car with both shim thicknesses to see which I prefer.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Phil, ...

My results were shims of 4.5mm left hand side and 5mm right hand side. The numbers etched onto the chassis are 0.034" left hand side a 0.084" right hand side. This is the sort of variation that I had noticed in work carried out by the Lotus 7 owners.

I find this difficult to justify. At the time our cars were current Lotus were world champion constructors, so they probably knew more about the subject than I do. Did they intentionally design in an amount of bump steer? I am only an average driver, so will probably never notice. My car is a restoration project, and my intention is to drive the car with both shim thicknesses to see which I prefer.

Richard Hawkins

It's interesting to see what you got Richard. I ended up with shims of about 0.2 in. which is very close to 5 mm.
I did help improve driving the car.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 am

You say bolting up the rack deformed the support lugs on the Chassis is interesting.
When i fit the body to a Chassis i like to see gaps between the Body and the Rack support lugs. That way i can shim the gaps and the Rack lugs are not deformed by the Body weight.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:13 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Phil,

There are several articles on the web about the subject, and most seem to relate to the Lotus 7. I chose my own method, I attached a laser to the front brake disc, and projected the beam onto my garage door while moving the suspension up and down. After about a month of messing around and plotting results I came to the 0.5mm conclusion.

Richard Hawkins

From my own experience I have to agree with Richard. The surest way of getting the shims right is to set them up with a laser, test drive, and adjust again as required. It didn't take me a month, but it is a time consuming process, every time you adjust one side, you have to go back to the other side and make a further small correction.

There is no "standard" shim set-up, every chassis is different due to manufacturing variations. Before fitting the fully adjustable front and rear (Spyder) wishbones, I measured the original (fixed) settings, they were horrendous !

Car is now a joy to drive as regards steering stability. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi Phil,

I used a home made, laser pointer based system, to measure toe change on my 26R build. I can resolve the effects of toe changes of 0.001 inch thick shims. Toe effects are small, but measureable.

The other thing to pay attention to is the range over which you are looking at the toe change. I am using TTR fixed length lower A-arms, with adjustable, 26R uppers. The chassis, with bare bones front suspension, was mounted on a fixture/dolly, that held the body horizontal. No springs or dampers were fitted. An aluminum angle was fixed to the uprights, on which a mirror was mounted. A laser pointer, about 10ft away, was aimed at the mirror and the reflected beam was plotted on paper near the laser source. So, sensitivity to toe angel measurement was doubled. The toe change was plotted from droop to neutral (lower A-arm horizontal) to bump. When everything is good, there is little toe change. Small shim changes make a difference. How close you need to be to not notice any handling issues is unknown to me.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 am

Bill

Can I take you to task on this

"The toe change was plotted from droop to neutral (lower A-arm horizontal) to bump."

If all was standard , springs , weights, etc,etc,etc at " neutral " the lower arms may be horizontal , but in practice it may be best to take the measurement from " Static Ride Height " to bump/droop .?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Bill

Can I take you to task on this

"The toe change was plotted from droop to neutral (lower A-arm horizontal) to bump."

If all was standard , springs , weights, etc,etc,etc at " neutral " the lower arms may be horizontal , but in practice it may be best to take the measurement from " Static Ride Height " to bump/droop .?

I see where you're coming from but for practical purposes when the body is off and one is playing with a rolling chassis without springs in, the static ride hide is a horizontal lower arm.
This is what I'm doing. I must say I'm using a dual gauge bump steer gauge.
I ordered stainless steel shims from ebay. They come as a pack of varying thicknesses.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: