Plus 2: relationship of glovebox/firewall

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Anybody have a picture looking up at the underside of the glovebox in a Plus 2, showing how the glovebox relates space-wise to the firewall, not just in how much space is between them but also the relative positions of each one's underside? The reason I ask is that I'm considering screwing some accessories to the part of the firewall that forms the 'roof' of the passenger footwell.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

The glove box is higher than the for well roof. What are you wanting to mount?

I'd probably avoid the foot well just to avoid it getting kicked. There wick a few vids in that general area that could possibly be used instead.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Nothing huge, just the body of the Retrosound radio I'll be installing. The body and faceplate can be separated and connected by a cable, allowing remote mounting of the body- which seems perfect given how little space there is between the dashboard and the heater. The radio body is about 4-1/2x4x2" and weighs about a pound. My thought was to put it as high-up above the footwell as possible, hence on the end of the 'roof' near the glovebox and that's where the spacial relationship comes in, as I want to be sure to have sufficient space to run cables and such.

I did consider mounting it up in the space alongside the bit of firewall that protrudes toward the glovebox, but discounted that as it's a tight space in which to work and once the dashboard is back in, could be rather tricky to access should the need arise later.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:04 pm

There might just be enough room to mount it directly to the under side of the glove box.

There also a good wasted space "above" the foot well roof and side of the car, inside of where wiper motor bolts, it might fit and be less likely to be kicked.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:14 am

Just make a cardboard template from a cereal box which is big enough to represent the unit plus some space for cables, then offer it up.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:00 pm

There is vey little room between the bottom of the glove box and the horizontal panel that fits beneath the box that covers the area above the bottom of the dash in the footwell. I would look about making some brackets to see if one could fit it between the outer side of the glove box and the space towards the outside of the car. Quite a bit of room there. It would be close to the antenna lead as well.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:10 pm

I mounted the unit behind rear finisher panel. See photo.

Bob
Attachments
100_0186.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Mark, if you're talking about where I think you're talking about (that narrow space way up high on the right side), that was the spot where I was concerned about future access once everything is back together- but I won't rule it out. And really, having slept on it, it sounds better than it did initially.

Richard, the dash (and therefore glovebox) is out at the moment, hence the question. I could screw it in place now but want to know more about how it'll all relate once it's all back together before I make any decisions.

Rob, horizontal panel??? Must be something that was gone from the car before I got it.

Bob, I considered a location in that general area but ruled it out as I'm kind of picky about my electronic connections and want to have the USB & aux cables reach the dashboard without having to use extension-cables.

Thanks for the input guys- much appreciated!
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 am

Well, here it is. T'was a pig of a job getting it up there, my fiance holding the screwdriver on the engine side of the wall and me in The Lotus Position with a little tiny 1/4" ratchet up in that space, my elbow aching from the bent position in which my arm had to work. So this radio had better be reliable! :mrgreen:
Attachments
img_20171010_215019.jpg and
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Looks good. Where is that exactly? Is it between the right side inner fender wall and the glovebox sidewall? Sorry I missed the thread last month as in the past I was looking for a spot near the glove box for a similarly sized electronic box, and that is what I came up with using a cardboard template.

May have mentioned before, but I located front speakers in the footwell sidewall. The wheelwell cover plates form a ?giant? plenum above the rocker rails. Made sure I sealed the cover plates and used those waterproof cups that go on the back of the speaker.

Going to be a nice system!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Looks like a nice fit, nice and out of the way and good use for otherwise wasted space.

It's the void above the passenger footwell to the side of the engine bay, the opposite side of where the windscreen wiper motor is bolted. If that makes sense
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 am

Thx mbell. I recall that spot now. Easy to get to once the dash is out.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: