Sprint Bonnet release cable outer dimensions

PostPost by: bloodknock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Hello folks
I'm just about to sort the bonnet pull on my sprint. Ive managed to solder a new bowden inner to the old handle and also find most of the assembly, except one of the outers, In the dim and distant I seem to recall that one of them was duff, so I probably binned it.
Anyway, I intend to put the parts back as was, and need to know the dimensions of the outers, if someone could help me.
The arrangement in the attached photo (thanks to somefellow traveller on this forum) is what mine was like originally.
Thanks
Bob

z-example-bonnet-release-cable-routing.jpeg
z-example-bonnet-release-cable-routing.jpeg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 751 times
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 am

Do you still have the adjuster piece to allow fine tuning of the outer sleeve?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

I don't know what the "correct" length for the outer cables is but, with the two support clips fitted to the cam cover rear outer retaining studs and the release catches in place on the bulkhead the routing and overall length of the outer cable is pretty obvious. The brass adjuster goes midway between the two support clips so that gives you the lengths of the two pieces.

Edit:- Just found a Service Bulletin on the bonnet cable. If it was carried out on your car you may only have one cable support bracket not two - might save you hunting for something you don't have :wink:

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Bonnet_Catch_(Elan)_and_Cable_(Elan_and_Plus_2)
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: