Elan windshield install

PostPost by: rcombs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:57 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but I have a few questions.

I got my gasket and put it one the window. It seems that the gasket is about1/2-3/4" wide. I call r.d. enterprises and they said that was normal. My question is, is that typical. I sure makes installation more difficult. That means the gasket must be put into the opening first, then the windshield installed into the gasket. Easier said than done!

I have that gasket installed in the body opening and the installation cord in the gasket slot. Do I put the cord ends outside or inside?

Sorry to be so basic. I did this install on by 1966 mustang in less than an hour, but I screwed around with the elan windshield for an hour and got nowhere.

Thanks,
Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Gasket into body is the best way anyway.
You really don't need a cord, use a plastic spatula to work the gasket over the glass.
Seat the gasket as tight as you can then plenty of washing up liquid and work the screen in from the bottom.
It will get tight when the top starts to go in, it will respond to a firm slap/push at this point will pop it in.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 pm

There is a cheap tapered nylon plastic tool called a bone tool or window tool that really facilities the job. Get 2 of them and be patient.
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 pm

I know it's likely to be different. Quite possibly very different! But I've just refitted the rear screen in my Plus 2. It was a job I was absolutely dreading. I managed the gasket/screen pretty easily with a bit of soapy water and 2 or 3 old credit cards. (I have a lot of them!! :shock: ) The bit I found the trickiest was the chrome filler strip. However, even as a total novice and teaching myself 'on the job', I eventually managed that with the Gunson diamond shaped fitting tool, and my trusty credit cards!
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for the input. I gave your suggestions a try, but still didn't get the job done. I got one half of the bottom in but when I went to the other side it just popped back out. I think this is going to take a couple of sets of hands.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Sorry to hear that, two people should make it easier to ensure it stays put as you move round.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I could be completely wrong. I've only tired this once, and I learned (very much!) on the job. I managed it alone, but I was refitting my old screen in the original hole. It was a rear Plus 2 screen, not the front. Yours might be very different?

What I found was this: plenty of soapy water helps to slide the screen into any position you want. A few strategically placed, and then left, credit cards (or very similar) helps to 'lock' the screen in the slot when you don't want it to pop out. With additional cards, just slide them along the soapy groove in the rubber. Like when you swipe in a shop.

Be patient. I managed to teach myself on the job, having never attempted anything like this before.

Lots of tea and/or coffee. A little patience, and thoughtfulness should see you through. It will be worth it!

Just thinking aloud, I might be tempted (with a second pair of hands!) to offer your screen into the surround. Without the rubber, that should demonstrate whether the glass does indeed fit into the hole!
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks,

I will try the extra card trick. The windshield is the original.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:22 pm

After a stone chip this summer Autoglass replaced my S3`s screen. With the rubber surround in place minus the insert 2 blokes put it in place at the bottom and worked around from each side with a plastic spatula thing and plenty of lubricant which looked like diluted detergent. Working the insert in with that diamond shaped plastic thing it was all done in 15 minutes. Maybe they had experience.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Practice makes perfect!
I had to my drop head screen twice because the first time I pushed the frame too far back and there wasn't enough clearance on one of the window frames.
After inserting packings the refix only took me 20 mins by myself.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:03 am

i used a pair of those suction cup handle thingies on the glass which made pushing the glass into the rubber easier.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:01 am

Hi,
Below should be a picture of the tools you can buy cheaply on the net.
Without the seal in place use suction cups to hold the screen up to the aperture and check the gap all the way around - on mine if I remember correctly it was something like 3/8.
On mine in one of the corners the gap went tight and looking at it there was an obvious ridge - once sanded away the screen went in easily.

Regards
Steve
Attachments
img_1116.jpg and
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I hope to get an extra set of hands on it this weekend.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: