New parcel shelf

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 pm

I have removed my old (hardboard?) parcel shelf, and would like to replace it with something a little less 'oceanic'. (wavy!!)

My choice is 6mm thick mdf. Stiff but thick! (Oooh-errr!!)

Or 3mm plywood. (similar thickness to the original high quality (not!!) hardboard.) Thin but a little wobbly!

To be honest, my preference is the thicker mdf, but I wonder whether anyone has encountered problems with a thicker parcel shelf? I suppose I'm thinking particularly of the geometry of the metal clips that sit under the window rubber of the rear screen, to support the shelf? But there may be other issues I'm too stupid to have yet considered!

Really appreciate any advice from folks who have done this job already.

Oh, and mine is an S model with the rectangular speakers in the parcel shelf. Which obviously don't work, but I would really like to replace them with something as close to the original as possible. Any ideas?

Kind regards.

Andy F.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:48 pm

I can only really comment on the earlier +2. So may be wrong with some of the detail. I have the original panel, but something to consider with a thicker panel??
Will the rear seat back sit a little too high ?
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Will the rear seat back sit a little too high ?

I'm not sure it will?

Without looking too closely, the only area I would anticipate a problem, seems to be the clips under the rear screen?? That's the question I'm asking.

I have a 69 Plus 2 S, with the fold down rear seat.

Thanks.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

I did 3mm ply myself....
there is a curve in the parcel shelf... that has been lost over time... it's all wavy by now.. but when you use ply it is straight and looks great until you try and get it into the clips... I had a big gap in the centre... so I used some old hose on top of the petrol tank to bend the ply into position.

Not as designed... I cannot use the clips anymore... I would use a piece of hardboard... alot more forgiving.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 pm

On my car the rear clips are just metal bracket that fit under the seal and the shelf sits on wedged under the seal. So I wouldn't have thought a few mm would make much of a difference but my seal is pretty shrunken at present (will replace it soon). Car is a +2S130 so might be different early cars.

Personally I thought of making a new shelf and using "plastic cardboard" as used for signs etc. I suspect it would be lighter than MDF and possibly hard board, while being more rigid than hardboard. It could also be easily slotted to slide the bracket between the two outer surfaces, negating any extra thickness and making it more secure.

I'd also swap out the heavily steel L bean for some Aluminum L, to save some more weight.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm

is this a "punk" elan?? if it is, its a gfrp shelf which should cost 100pound sterling: thats what i got sandy: alps
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:01 pm

I see what Laika means.

Perhaps you can see it in this photo?
c213f6d6-1c52-42b4-896c-2d21e07aaf8a.jpg and

Looking along the flat top of the fuel tank, you can see the rear of the parcel shelf has to be bowed up in order to slip onto the clips and fit snug to the bottom of the rear screen.

The front edge of the parcel shelf (seat back) is held dead straight by a piece of angled metal.

Hardboard it is!!

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:52 am

Andy, recently remade my rear self, used plywood.
Happy to provide any details.
Note my car is Jan 1968.

rear-shelf-brace.jpg and

rear-shelf-foam.jpg and
Added the foam

rear-shelf-bottom.jpg and
Bottom

rear-shelf-top.jpg and

rear-shelf-support-clips.jpg and
Support Clips
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Trevor

That looks great. Nice clean car too. Unlike mine!

Were you able to fit the plywood into the clips ok! I see you used basketweave vinyl? Mine's currently just the usual grain vinyl. Also I don't have the bar that appears to go on the top of yours.

Many thanks.

Andy

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Andy.
Yes plywood fitted into the clips ok, the rear rubber and screen now fitted and no problems.
My vinyl is the original one and refitted.

I replaced my rear shelf because it was warped and the sponge had become yellow dust. I used plywood because it?s stiffer than hardboard, but used hardboard for new door panels as it curved better and held position with the new clips and ?Snapsac? (plastic bushes).

The Rear seat squab hooks over the angled bar, it also stiffens the shelf.

Hope it goes well for you.
Attachments
rear-parcel-shelf-with-rear-seat-squab.jpg and
Rear Seat Squab hooked over angled bar
Last edited by TeeJay on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:37 am

The Rear seat squab hooks over the angled bar.

Ah, mine has the fold down seat back. That must be the difference. Really appreciate your input. So it looks like the hardboard's on it's way back to the shop, to exchange for 3mm ply! :(

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 pm

I've got some 1/4" ply, of something nicer than the usual pine (but I forget exactly what) waiting to become a new shelf. I'm looking forward to getting that done.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

[quote="EPC 394J"Ah, mine has the fold down seat back. That must be the difference.[/quote]

The fold down rear seat back needs the angle brace also. It's a different part number in the parts manual and mounts on the under side of the shelf, aligned with the front edge. Your's has that one doesn't it?
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Your's has that one doesn't it?

It does indeed.

Not sure whether to reuse my original vinyl, which looks ok, or buy new??

I definitely want to reuse my speaker grills, but they will need prettying up!

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 am

EPC 394J wrote:Not sure whether to reuse my original vinyl, which looks ok, or buy new??

Andy, if the replacement shelf is the same thickness as the original, mine was 3mm and the original vinyl is in good condition, then I would reuse it.
If you used thicker shelf material you may have difficulty having enough material to wrap round onto the bottom to secure it.

I washed mine with soapy water and scrubbed into the basket weave, mainly to remove dust and then when rinsed and dry, used Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer. I?ve used this product on most of my black vinyl / plastic interior; it restored original richness to discoloured black items.

Today we are spoilt for choice with products for restoration. :D
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: