Boot floor and battery

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm

I have just installed some support brackets for the boot floor of my +2 130S. The originals were missing and no obvious signs what they were or where they were located. I used thin galvanised angle, see attached photo's, which enabled the side bracket bolts to be hidden behind the bumper, a cantilevered bracket using the exhaust bolts in the floor and other brackets bolted through the wheel wells and bulkhead. The floor is now adequately supported and the boards themselves bend rather than the brackets. The distance from the battery tray floor to the top of the closest bracket is 180 mm, i.e. floor bottom. I intend to fit 25 mm wooden supports around the plywood floor boards to give better support and give me a height from tray floor to the bottom of the floor board of 205 mm, which is the height of an 037/038 battery. However, an 048 battery is 225 mm high which will give me a bigger amp/hour rating but will mean some substantial supports for the floor!

Can someone tell me the 'normal' distance from the battery tray floor to floor bottom is and is it worth fitting a higher amp/hour battery.

img_0317.jpg and

img_0322.jpg and

img_0323.jpg and
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:55 am

I have an early +2, happy to do these measurements if of any use (I don't know if this dimension changed for the later cars).. probably be Sunday or Monday though.. Cant' comment on the change of battery as still putting it all together
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:05 pm

That would be a great help. Thanks.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:38 am

Could you measure the distance from the floor to boot floor in the corners by the rear lights as well please. My guess is that this will be the same on early and late cars regardless of exhaust configuration. I have assumed that the boot floor in parallel to the spare wheel but my assumption may well be wrong.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm

From battery tray to underside of floor board is just under 8 1/2 inches, or 215mm on my 72 S130, but I have made a wood base that fits snugly in to the battery tray & provides a flat surface so I can fit an 096 battery which has a larger footprint, but is only 7 1/2 inches tall. I personally think it's worthwhile up-rating the battery, as with the std size battery fitted, the car would struggle to start if stood for a while, or on cold mornings. I have the same problem with my series 4 Elan, but it's not so easy to fit a larger battery. With the 096, the +2 can stand all winter with the clock running & still has plenty of battery to start come spring. The cooling fan can also run as long as it likes without risking a flat battery.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Dave

See my option

post271139.html#p271139

Good luck
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Many thanks for the input. I've decided to go for 7 1/2" size battery and positioned the brackets accordingly.

Now making the bulkhead board between the boot and tank. My +2 has two brackets attached to the tank straps to support the bulkhead. Can someone tell me if the floor goes up to the bulkhead or underneath it? Up to seems the most logical but this leaves a big space between the floor boards and wheel arches.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Dave- There is some good info here that might be of some use.
lotus-chassis-f36/boot-flooring-t16873.html

The boot floor is captured between the back piece and the bracket then is held down by the clips in the front (that's the front of the boot at the back of the car). It can be made a snug fit by putting a foam strip across the bracket at the back to hold the floor up tight to the boot back piece.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am

Sorry Bud I need to learn to be more specific. I have a 130S and it doesn't have the fittings you describe. I think the floor must go under bulkhead and probably retained by some foam strip as you describe.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: