clips to attach grill surround trim

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Can anyone provide a source to purchase the front air intake grill surround trim attachment clips?

I have some universal clips that I do not believe will function. The car has been restored for years and I am just getting around to this task!

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:33 pm

Sj sportscars has them, described as
SPECIAL LONG SPIRE CLIP for GRILLE MOUNTING

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

I was unable to locate the part mentioned by you. I did find on SJ website "front grill edge trim clip" Part number: SJ050B0018. I will have to determine if they are correct.

Thanks

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Sorry Bob do you have a +2 ?.

The ones I found are for the 2-seater, part # SJ036B0066.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am

Bob, this was discussed elsewhere on the forum recently, can't lay my hands on it, but . . .

I can tell you I ordered this part (SJ050B0018) from SJ and have now installed my car's "moustache trim" (stainless around the nose air intake grill). They work great. It's a better solution than the factory's: more robust and secure.

Having said that, you have to make some decisions about where to put the four holes, and you have to source nuts for the studs. I believe they are M5.

Good product and price. You won't have to worry about losing your precious moustache front grill trims.

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Randy

Thanks for the information.

I have "universal" clips. They fit into the trim. They are held tight with a spring steel wire that allows the clip to be used in a variety of trim heights. I have to determine if the SJ parts are superior.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I use black cable ties - who is to know.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Bill, I've read back the thread and Bob (OP) has not confirmed that he is talking about a Plus 2. I've only been going on that assumption. Plus 2s have the stamped stainless 2 part up-turned "moustache" trim that surrounds the lower edges of the air intake in the nose. Elans don't have this trim.

Bob?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 am

It depends on where you live.
But, here in the US, the clips can be found made by Tinnerman. Tinnerman has made fasteners since at least the '30s; many for the aircraft industry. They are probably owned by another company now, but they make thousands of fasteners based on flat sheet metal stampings. When you could find Tinnerman in trade journals or now on the internet, you could go through their catalog and get samples. The number of samples would be enough to do a whole car. Here in the US look on line for Au-ve-co, they have a large catalog of fasteners for auto body work.
They made so many different kinds that they are primarily a manufacturer, and normally you would have to order large quantities. Sometimes one of their distributors would have stuff in stock; at least the normal fasteners.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:20 pm

My bad Randy!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm

A standard M6 bolt head fits nicely into the channel at the back of the moustache trim, make your own unseen modifications on a similar vein. Mine is held in place by M6 bolts. Washers and nylocs.... simples.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Oh . . . that's slick, Allan. Good thinking. A little grinding of the bolt head if needed . . . sounds like a good plan :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:42 pm

The car in question is a +2. I have some trim clips (Auveco?) that appear to be suitable.

I will have to locate the position and drill suitable holes. My front "clip" is new and does not have these mounting holes.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: