S1 heater in an S4!

PostPost by: ART » Tue May 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi
Just removed the dashboard (worst job I have so far done on the S4!) to sort a water leak from the heater. It turned out to just be a perished hose but I am going to refurbish the dash so not too upset!.
However I discovered the hoses to the eyeball vents go nowhere as the heater is a Smiths FHR4325/09 model which was fitted to S1 Elans and it has no vents on the back of the box! I am thinking of fitting two outlets on the back as shown in the parts book for an S4. Only thing is the outlets will have to go quite in the middle of the box back plate as the finned tanks in the box cover about a third each side. These would block any air if I put the outlets as shown in the illustrations. Also the fan has just two wires which explains why I never had two speeds, I assume I could correct this with an extra wire and a resistor for a slow speed. Any advice on what I propose is will be welcomed.

Regards
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: jk952 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Roger,
Hopefully below are two pictures I took a few days ago of a S3/4 heater showing the demister holes etc. I was considering selling it but yet to actually offer it. It is a NOS - really!! heater.
I has a large resistor inside to create the slow speed. I can measure the resistance for you, and the dia. of the holes if you wish. It came with a small metal label (since misplaced) that said something like put the inlet/outlet at the high elevation, persumably so not to have an air lock in the actual heater core :D

htr1.jpg and

htr2.jpg and

Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ART » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Jack
Thanks for the pictures, I have just restored the heater to S4 spec putting in the extra holes and rubber elbows and have a 2 Ohm 100W resistor on order to get the low speed. Pity you didn't email before I would have bought your NOS stock one !!
Regards
Roger
ART
New-tral

PostPost by: SENC » Sun May 28, 2017 1:14 am

Will look for the posting of the NOS heater!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 am

ART wrote:Jack
Thanks for the pictures, I have just restored the heater to S4 spec putting in the extra holes and rubber elbows and have a 2 Ohm 100W resistor on order to get the low speed. Pity you didn't email before I would have bought your NOS stock one !!
Regards
Roger

Couple of things:

You might want to make the Heaterbox holes the same size as the ones used on MGB as the Lotus heater elbows are rocking horse do do, you can get the MGB ones from Ashley Hinton on Facebook and eBay.

Have you now got a 3 position switch for the dashboard (or was it 3 position anyway but just using on/off)' think I might have one.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ART » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Yes it is the correct switch but was just using two wires, all is fixed now just need to fabricate a heater/dashboard bracket and everything can go back in. Next job is to remove all the cracked finish off the dashboard (which is over 1mm thick in parts) varnish and Letraset on the labels and the car might be back on the road to see some of the summer!!
Roger
ART
New-tral

Total Online: