Check strap seal/grommet?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi all.

Does anyone know how where i can get hold of a pair of S4/Sprint check strap seals? I was tempted to leave them off but after a quick wash this morning i've noticed quite a bad water leak from that area so i guess they will be going back on (assuming i can get some).

I tried Sue but was busy so have had a quick look on Paul Matty and SJS web pages but couldn't see any.
Attachments
p1040458.jpg and
p1040457.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Was just about to start looking for a pair of these as well- I'll race you to try and get Sue in the morning encase she only has one pair left :lol:
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon May 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Not had any luck getting through today, had a look through her catalogue and couldn't find any listed...... Sods law i'm going to be busy all day tomorrow too so might be Wednesday before i can have another go :roll:

Let me know how you get on.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Chris

Susan has none and thinks they are unobtainable and that they were ineffective as they always slide up the tube anyway!- so I think I will go through my big box of grommets and try and find something suitable.

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Try RD Enterprises in the USA, he has lots of grommets
Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 am

mark030358 wrote:Try RD Enterprises in the USA, he has lots of grommets
Cheers
Mark

just had a look on Ray's site : ref 36B6167 is listed for that purpose (among others) but these are not identical to the original, just plain grommets (" 3/4" ID fits 1" hole 1-3/16" OD wide groove to accept fiberglass panel thickness ")
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Couldn't find the grommets I needed for the Sabra restoration. So I made some molds, purchased some 2 part liquid silicon, and made my own. All but one of the holes in the body were 1 inch in diameter. The other was for the main harness to go from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment. To ease the making of multiple different grommets for different applications, I made one grommet that had no hole. A recess in the back of the grommet of 3/4" in diameter, when fully opened up, was large enough for the heater hoses. The rest were hole punched for the diameter of what was to pass through them. Unpunched grommets plugged unneeded holes.

Took several tries to get a grommet of the needed hardness so as not to fall apart during installation. If my memory serves me, I think I settled on a durometer reading of 80. Also made a mold for casting pedal pads for the clutch and brake, as these were NLA. The molds can be made of aluminum or wood. If metal, a mold release agent just needed to be sprayed into the mold. With wood, a varnish coating would be needed before the mold release agent is applied.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:40 am

I also need to find a way of replacing the grommets. I think I will try some 1/4" self adhesive high density foam sheet and punch out a hole in it and stick to the inside of the car.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri May 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I thought about doing that myself but i i'm not sure i like the idea of the seal being inside the car.

I've spent hours searching our stores at work with little luck, i found some Mk2 Jag seals which look identical but the groove is too narrow, that said i took the door off yesterday and on closer inspection i can see why the original grommets wouldn't stay in position (the GRP is very thick around the hole) so if i have no joy in the searching my fall back plan is to cut the inside edge off the two grommets i found and PU glue them into position, bit rough way of doing it but will at least look as it was meant too while stopping the leak.

One other issue i noticed was my Check strap tube on the drivers side doesn't sit in the centre of the hole in the body which is odd...
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:44 am

I went to the Beaulieu Autojumble yesterday and there was a chap called Richard Deex Trading from Cheshire. He seemed to have quite a large stock of unusual type rubber grommets, so he may have something suitable. Telephone number is 0161-432-8435.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun May 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Small world..... i bought most of my wiring supplies from him as he's not far from me. I didn't know he did Grommets though, might be worth a call.

http://www.wiringandbulbs.co.uk/
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: