S4 door blacking.

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:21 pm

gjz30075 wrote:My rain channel was originally black, too. JimBJ's pics also show a black rain channel.

Missed that...... I was looking at pharriso 's pictures.... i'll have to adjust that in the morning .

Just while i'm thinking on..... Does anyone know what size the rain channel Snapsac is? our parts book only has 8mm (5/16") diameter in the long 20mm clear variety? Does that sound about right? I'm looking at Brian's picture and it looks bigger?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Here's mine (as it left the factory).
Attachments
p1040075.jpg and
p1040074.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

gjz30075 wrote:Great pics, everyone! Thanks!

Next question (as we take this to the next level): What's the general consensus on the sheen? Flat?
semi flat? semi gloss?

I would go with Satin...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Are the Snapsac drains glued into position? i fitted a tight fitting pipe that does hold it in position to a degree but when i tested it there was still water bypassing the tube. (maybe being a little critical)
Attachments
p1040462.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

With something like this sort of detail on door edges it probably varied depending on who was the guy doing the painting on the day . No programmed robots back then and the guy was probably taught what to do by the guy doing it before him and it changed over time in no controlled or consistent way.

So unless you have a photo of your specific car when it left the factory I doubt if their is consistent and verifiable "correct way" to paint your door edges and all inquiries will lead to conflicting information due to variable original painting and variable painting since... its the Lotus way ... relax and enjoy the diversity

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Rohan, usually i'd agree with you but from what i've seen from original paint cars i'd say the S4 were done as per 1owner69Elan 's car and the Sprint were as per TimBJ / JimE cars with not a lot of variation.

I just find it interesting the lengths Lotus went to to convert 70 odd S4 se's into Sprints at the factory.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: