Plus 2 bonnet release cable routing - LHD

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:34 am

Greetings,

I don't seem to have adequate pix for this part of my reassembly, so wondering if anyone with a LHD - LEFT HAND DRIVE - Plus 2 can help out. I understand how the cable is routed and works in the engine bay, but am wondering about the routing of the cable while it's behind/under the fascia/dash. My stock cable and release handle has about 12" of spiral cable sheath on it, plus the 3" of rigid tube up against the pull handle. The location of the pull handle on the fascia is not directly in line with the cable guide in the bulkhead/firewall.

So . . . the cable and sheath must make some sort of loop before it enters the cable guide and heads for the left side bonnet latch.

Anyone have any suggestions for the proper and best way (least friction, etc) to route this?? Again, LHD Plus 2 . . . :mrgreen:

Thanks so much . . . :)

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you know. Finished stripping the engine compartment and patching up some defects yesterday. Hope to have some primer on this afternoon. Should have some paint back on this next week, then re-assembly. I do know the cable and sheath on my car was much longer than I wanted, and the sheath was almost beyond part worn. Will use to old sheath to determine just how short I can make the loop and then cut the new sheath to the required length.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Randy, unfortunately the car is still covered up and hibernating in a garage corner so difficult to take a look for you. Just starting snowing again here!

A question to clarify. Did your bonnet cable handle attach to a split bracket screwed to the bottom of the dash on the back, or is it a sort of through fitting in the dash like the choke cable? Just trying to visualize how it is done on the six gauge cars and if different than my earlier car.

Bit of an edit as I found on page 80-81 Section M of my WSM that the control illustration for the six gauge car shows bonnet release handle mounted to the under dash piece with the extra switches. My WSM does not show a LHD version, but I imagine the handle location is obviously at the hole in your trim piece.

As shown in the illustration, my USA Federal LHD bonnet handle bracket is mounted to the right of the steering wheel pretty much directly below tach centre. Is this the same general location in your six gauge car? Just thinking it may influence the cable routing and length?

Just guessing that my release handle placement is pretty much directly in front of the left side bonnet catch so no loop? I do remember bending my retaining bracket to remove the cable from the dash and leaving it in place, so whatever arrangement I have is probably essentially original.

Apologies if no issue and the configuration is the same in all models.

Sounds like great progress by the way!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Here are a couple of pics. The one through the windshield shows that on mine at least there's not that much offset between the handle that's just to the left of the steering column and the first catch in the engine compartment. Then the other picture shows you that the rubber covered cable takes a small curve to the left and then a mild curve back right to where it hits the opening behind the dash, that is really right about where you see it out of sight behind the AC ducting. So there's really not any kind of a dramatic looping or that much extra to deal with and also mine is rubber coated so maybe it's a more flexible version, not sure. Hope this helps, Gordon Sauer
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:13 pm

You guys are great! Thank you, Rob, Stu and Gordon. It's a big help and I'm better oriented, now :mrgreen:

I'm sure you're anxious to get those pieces back in place, Rob. And sorry to hear about the extra snow, Stu; we have had record amounts (it seems) ourselves here and finally now a couple days without too much rain!! Thanks for the pix, Gordon. I think that answers my question. :mrgreen:

As to progress, seems slow to me, but . . .

Engine is in two places, and waiting for parts order. Pretty much everything is painted, save the fuel tank. Chassis is mostly assembled, gearbox and diff completed. Am working on various sub-assemblies that can be done before mounting. Am doing full build-up of doors, test mounting bonnet and latches, etc. Looking forward to re-furbing interior before assembly, etc . . . . Un-ending lists . . . :shock:

Lovin' it :mrgreen:

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: