Help, I can't get out

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:59 am

pic4.jpg and
Fixed the problem. Cut the rod with a hacksaw and joined the ends (with some overlap) using the following connector which was the perfect size:
HYLEC HYKS-05712PP 57A terminal block, Farnell part number is 2056629

Seems to be working now, hope it continues to work. Thanks for the suggestion Kev, and everybody else who chipped in.
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Now the 'proper' way to do it would, of course, be to cut the rod, then die cut each end with thread, one being a left hand thread, then take a brass rod of suitable dia, drill through then tap one end with the corresponding thread, and the other with a left hand thread version.

Then put a locknut on each thread and screw the rods into the brass cylinder; rotating the cylinder will then change the length of the rod.

But by heck, that would be a LOT MORE WORK and EXPENSE (buying the taps & dies) :D :? :shock:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Ah yes, but I'm an electronics engineer, not a mechanical engineer, hence the use of the wire terminal blocks. Doesn't look so pretty, but nobody will see it. :)
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Dave, without hijacking your thread,I like to share this tale with you, I used to own a v8 esprit,the wife and I were attending a posh do one evening, we both were dressed up to the nines( she looked gorgeous in that little short number).
We arrived at the venue parked the car, o F### can't open the door,go round to the drivers side luv and let me out,I can't open my side either she cryed,don't worry luv I have a cunning plan.
The esprit had a removable sun roof panel, simple remove the roof and climb out,come on luv your turn, what a sight, what wrong with it she asked, don't worry luv I will sort it out in the morning, morning she said, yep your driving home ,and you'll have to get back in the way you got out :lol:
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:35 am

Reminds me of that old joke - the man born by Caesarean section. Didn't really affect him except that he always felt the need to exit a car via the sunroof.
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:10 pm

daverubberduck wrote:Reminds me of that old joke - the man born by Caesarean section. Didn't really affect him except that he always felt the need to exit a car via the sunroof.

Well now I know what it feels like to be a Gynacologist after installing the nuts on the back of the interior door handles :roll:

To stop the rods coming out of the white Nylon clips I have drilled 2 1/8" holes:
img_6098.jpg and

& then assemble with small zip ties:
img_6099.jpg and

These puppies are not coming out!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:52 am

I didn't think gynaecologists had anything to do with nuts :) . I know what you mean though. I recently got my hand stuck when trying to install a new fuel pump from above. RH nut was fine but struggled with the LH one. Suddenly I realised that my left hand was well and truly stuck between engine and body. I thought I was in real trouble, it would be hours before the wife came looking for me in the garage. Tried not to panic and slowly and painfully managed to release it. Had to stop then because hand was scratched and swollen. I bet that never happens to gynaecologists.

Another method for keeping those rods in is to use shrink wrap, the kind electricians use for wire joins. A rubber sleeve that you put over the join and heat with a hot air gun. That seems to be what's on mine (I didn't do it).
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Dave
I take it you've not seen 127 Hours ?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: