fascia decals

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 am

or dashboard lettering to you and me ....
I've just emailed RDENT in the US for a quote to send me their page of transfers for the dash.
Is there no supplier in the UK ?

this is from an old posting
I think RD enterprizes in the US do a set
James

http://www.rdent.com

Facia Lettering
Words and symbols for Elan S4 and Plus 2 dashboard. If you're refinishing your own dash you'll want to use this lettering to replace the switch labeling. White lettering is printed on a clear carrier sheet. Just cut out the words or symbols you need and adhere directly to your dash. Most owners put another coat or two of their clear finish over the words to seal them.

Ref. 001B0235 - $14.00
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 am

I'm pretty sure Sue Miller or Paul Matty do them. If not try Christopher Neil.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:52 am

Bought several sheets from Christopher Neil a few years ago, they've always seemed to be freely available in the UK?

NRBF
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:59 pm

Rich,

These labels must be available somewhere as there are at least two suppliers of dashboards. I bought a replacement dash from Sue Miller, but it was made by city polishers in Lincolnshire. Perhaps they can help you.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm

They look to be available from SJ Sportscars (search for LETTER SET FOR DASH or part number SJ676).

Rob.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:27 pm

thanks draenog. i just looked at SJS listing and it's not as good as RDents which has multiple of everything . I'm thinking long term so have opted for the US version. There isn't a lot of difference in price to be honest .
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

the lettering on the original dash of my '68 federal S4se is (was) red : is that something specific ?

I have not seen red decals offered anywhere so far...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:59 pm

I was not pleased with Dent's decals, as they must be cut from a big sheet of clear plastic and have a noticeable thickness to make up for if you want to finish over them. I was also concerned about how the adhesive would do encased under the decal and finish for years and years, whether it would try to bubble or turn a bad colour from UV exposure or something.

I wound up having a dry-transfer set made, which has everything except the arrows, in the correct (for not-early cars) Microgramma Bold Extended font at the exact size. They were made by Allout-Graphics in Canada, and as I've already paid the setup fee for making the pattern, a set shouldn't be too much dosh (I think that when it was all said and done and delivered to me, I was in about $75 and the majority of that was the setup fee). The set has three of every label that occurs on a Plus 2 dashboard reproduced three times, so you have a couple of chances to get the application right.

I don't make a cent if Allout-Graphics sell any more of these, but I can report good result on my dashboard.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:16 pm

I am sure this has been discussed many times, perceived wisdom is that the Original Lettering was "Letraset" which is still available and is thin enough to sit correctly under the Varnish also 99% sure that this is what City Polishers use.
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Letraset is dry transfer, and I was unable to find it in Microgramma Bold Extended, at least in North America- turns out that Making it isn't a very environmentally-friendly process, and the capability of computers and printers have largely displaced the need for it. But doing one letter at a time is a PITA too and might be difficult to get good consistent spacing and alignment, which is why I had mine made up in the whole words.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm

As I have mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, be careful what finish you use on your new dash. Most varnishes & resins will have an amber tint or will turn amber with age. Your nice white letters will not be white for very long. I used an acrylic which has a clear finish to it.
I also couldn't find Letraset when I did my dash. I believe is not actually made anymore. Graphic artists do all their work on the computer these days so no need for this product..
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Email sent to All-Out about the cost for 1 and 10 sets, I'll report back when I get a response. If a group buy makes sense I can co-ordinate it.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:53 pm

The slight yellow of the finish seemed like an acceptable compromise to me, your mileage may vary. I've got the finish sanded fairly thin over the letters so it just looks like 'patina,' which the car has plenty of already. :mrgreen:
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm

The originals were not letraset, they were silkscreened on

uncoated letraset will wear off quickly they need to be covered. I used to use it back in the 80's [for work]and it is just as difficult to cover as the labels are, as the clear tends to avoid it until a few coats are applied.

I have had adhesive labels under automotive clear for 21 years and they remain white and the adhesive is unaffected. It was not difficult to cover the labels. The key is to not cut rectangles, rather lozenge shaped cutouts or if you fail to cover one spot your eye will pickup the straight edge.

If you make up lettering be sure to do the appropriate arrows and lines

The fears about the labels are just that. They are easier to place[once you rub letraset you are done]
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm in for a group buy. Ben (The Veg), thanks for kicking this off and thanks to snowyelan for the followup.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: