Elan on rotisserie or?

PostPost by: Rich » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:15 am

I have the body off the chassis and need to do some restoration to the bottom of the body. Can the S2 body be turned over and rested on the front cowl and the area between the cockpit and the trunk? If I needed to use a rotisserie where would it attach?
Thanks
Rich
New-tral

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:16 pm

You can just flip the body upside down as you described , its light enough for two people to do once its reduced to just the CBU -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:58 pm

You can flip the body over easy enough, but if you have a lot of work a rotisserie makes it easy. I made mine with 2 engine stands from harbor freight, 2 lengths of unistrut and 1 length of tube steel. I had the unistrut, but the whole thing would be around $200.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:35 pm

rcombs wrote:You can flip the body over easy enough, but if you have a lot of work a rotisserie makes it easy. I made mine with 2 engine stands from harbor freight, 2 lengths of unistrut and 1 length of tube steel. I had the unistrut, but the whole thing would be around $200.

Rick

If you are going to do much you can't beat a rotisserie. I bolted the body to two angle irons running the length of the car and attached to the " community" rotisserie. I think It will go to paint on the rotisserie. Should make painting easier.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:17 pm

I, too, used a rotisserie. Best investment I made. Paid $700 for a used unit. Just sold it on this past month for $650. Was a no-brainer for me.

I used two wood runners, end to end, to rest body shell on, and drilled three holes in the floor on each side to bolt through to the wood runners (used a wood plate on the inside to add strength and rigidity to the mounting area). Of course, the sill members on my Plus 2 were carefully replaced before lifting the shell. That doesn't apply to the Elan, I know, but I would definitely do all the metal work on inside of shell before lifting.

Would prefer steel runners, as suggested by Kurt, to keep flexing to a minimum. But I used what I had.

Always MUCH more body work, fiberglass repairs, etc. than first anticipated, and the rotisserie is an investment that simply gets better and smarter as the weeks (months) (years) go by. And then just sell it on to recoup your costs. :mrgreen: I had three guys local to me cuing up to buy mine within a week of advertising.

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: