Replacement chassis: how long might it last?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:55 am

Back to the op, If you do a regular pencil test (poke a pencil through the drain hole of the front upright and see if its blocked solid with mud and grot, if the drains are blocked that's when you get corrosion issues) every so often check the body mounting bolts for tightness and once a every couple of years jet wash the loose dirt off and wax oil you will find your Chassis lasts a very long time.

You can of course close the top of the Upright box section and you'll never have a problem with the drain holes getting blocked ever again :)

Lotus has a built in rust prevention measure, what happens is the engine,gearbox and diff slowly loose all there oil over time coating just about everything including the garage floor :)
Last edited by Grizzly on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 pm

A Concourse is an open area in front of a building, or a crowd of people.

A Concours ( no e ) is a contest of elegance.

I don't want a concourse Elan.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Not wishing to be pedantic, if I was I`d suggest to Grizzly that his posts would make more sense if he didn`t confuse your and you`re and there, their, their`s, and there`s, but I won`t. What I will say, Roger, is that the French (not you) word concours has been commonly used internationally but increasingly, in English, spelt concourse, so there.........or is it their?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 pm

jimj wrote:Not wishing to be pedantic, if I was I`d suggest to Grizzly that his posts would make more sense if he didn`t confuse your and you`re and there, their, their`s, and there`s, but I won`t. What I will say, Roger, is that the French (not you) word concours has been commonly used internationally but increasingly, in English, spelt concourse, so there.........or is it their?
Jim

My phone has Pre-empt, frankly i'm sick of going back and changing it all the time :lol:

Concourse is slang for the restoration level of the Car taking part in the Concour d'elegance (competition of elegance) :twisted:
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

And there is me thinking the "pencil test" is a way of checking the firmness of a female breast?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 pm

vxah wrote:And there is me thinking the "pencil test" is a way of checking the firmness of a female breast?

:) Yep bit of a running joke that one. You can of course stick any long thin shaft through the hole but for some reason no one ever forgets to do that test when looking at an Elan :lol:

Note, its not just Elans you go round poking the drain holes ;) if you do that on any car and water comes out you should take a closer look. Its a very old MOT testers trick.
Last edited by Grizzly on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Grizzly wrote:
vxah wrote:And there is me thinking the "pencil test" is a way of checking the firmness of a female breast?

:) Yep bit of a running joke that one. You can of course stick any long thin shaft through the hole but for some reason no one ever forgets to do that test when looking at an Elan :lol:

It's better to prod the perfect looking side of the front turrets near the bottom, with a flat screwdriver.

If the blade goes through the metal, its time for major repairs or replacement.

lotus-suspension-f42/how-repaired-rusty-front-suspension-turrets-t16727.html?hilit=turret
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Gus, I don't know that you would have to cut them off. If the holes at the bottom are clear of debris, that is a good sign. If you want to be extra cautious, you could probably put a video scope into the tower to inspect the inside. All the best, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:17 pm

This is a great thread by garyeanderson, a great example of what can be done with the very worse corrosion when you have the skill and inclination.

lotus-chassis-f36/sows-ear-chassis-t24752.html
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:29 am

jimj wrote:Not wishing to be pedantic, if I was I`d suggest to Grizzly that his posts would make more sense if he didn`t confuse your and you`re and there, their, their`s, and there`s, but I won`t. What I will say, Roger, is that the French (not you) word concours has been commonly used internationally but increasingly, in English, spelt concourse, so there.........or is it their?
Jim

I'd suggest concourse is used by smartphones and people who don't know the difference.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:47 am

RogerFrench wrote:
Jim

I'd suggest concourse is used by smartphones and people who don't know the difference.

I guess so.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 am

even though we share the rather damp weather with you brits, my chassis (original) was perfect when i got the car in 1981 for 12000?. the first job was to get this baby to the zinc platers: was dipped twice (1st hot bath to burn the old paint off, then some other bath?) and never saw corrosion since, superb adhesion of the zinc! greetings from the snow and salt sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 pm

el-saturn wrote:even though we share the rather damp weather with you brits, my chassis (original) was perfect when i got the car in 1981 for 12000?. the first job was to get this baby to the zinc platers: was dipped twice (1st hot bath to burn the old paint off, then some other bath?) and never saw corrosion since, superb adhesion of the zinc! greetings from the snow and salt sandy

If you paid ?12,000 for an S3 in 1981, Sandy, it must have been gold plated already! Too many noughts?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:21 pm

screen-shot-2016-02-20-at-15.19.15.png and

The holes at the bottom of the suspension turrets should not be as big as these!! :o

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:44 am

YOW!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036