8 hours to remove body from chassis

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

gehirin wrote:I'm planning to remove the body off my S4 RHD. I believe I read that there are 16 bolts. Does anyone have a diagram of the location of the bolts. Greatly appreciated! Also do I have to remove the steering column for this?

Yes it's scary how few bolts actually hold the body on but I don't suppose it would fall off without any bolts.

Don't forget the heater valve (I did), some friends came round to help me lift the body and then I discovered the heater valve was in the way...for speed I ended up sawing it off and buying a replacement rather than ask them to come back another day. If you jack the sump up carefully on the heater valve side you can get just enough room to unscrew it without removing the engine mount.

Club Lotus used to do a data sheet about chassis replacement, if you get stuck pm me and I will scan my copy in and send it to you.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gehirin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks Carl, I will PM you about the sheet. Could save me some frustration :D
gehirin
New-tral

PostPost by: street » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:33 am

Good list, im nearly there but forgot about speedo and tacho cables, i thought i had read posts about disconnecting handbrake tree, is this not needed?

otherwise me all good apart form body to chassis bolt behind dash that will not go.
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:51 pm

Here's some pics of the rear chassis ears repair I did shortly after buying the car 35 years ago.

:)
Attachments
RTower1.jpg and
RTower2.jpg and
RTower3.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: