S/E Sill Trim Fastening Method

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 am

Hi All,

I noticed the crazy price for the sill trims on eBay - Mine only cost two quid at an autojumble so I thought I would put them on.

On the inner side of the sill I can see the ends of the old rivets, so the location should be ok. I have new rivets and the metal clips, but I didn't take the old trims off, and the one left on the s3 fell off so I have no Idea how to attach them.

There are cut-outs at the end of the trim so it could be slid on. The clips look like you could also hook over one edge and then press until it clicks into place... or the other way round they just fall in/out.

Which way up do the clips go?
How do I attach the trim?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:24 pm

AHM wrote:Hi All,

I noticed the crazy price for the sill trims on eBay - Mine only cost two quid at an autojumble so I thought I would put them on.

On the inner side of the sill I can see the ends of the old rivets, so the location should be ok. I have new rivets and the metal clips, but I didn't take the old trims off, and the one left on the s3 fell off so I have no Idea how to attach them.

There are cut-outs at the end of the trim so it could be slid on. The clips look like you could also hook over one edge and then press until it clicks into place... or the other way round they just fall in/out.

Which way up do the clips go?
How do I attach the trim?

You've answered your own question.
Which way up is whatever suits yourself to make assembly easy.
A screwdriver or similar tool will be required for removal whichever way up they are. :roll:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:00 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:You've answered your own question.

Well I do try to apply myself before asking questions :wink:

I've checked all the pieces and it will take me seconds to rivet, but rather longer if something is not right!

The reason for asking is that when holding the clip in my hand - If I put the barbed edge in first the curved edge drops in.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:39 pm

AHM wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:You've answered your own question.

Well I do try to apply myself before asking questions :wink:

I've checked all the pieces and it will take me seconds to rivet, but rather longer if something is not right!

The reason for asking is that when holding the clip in my hand - If I put the barbed edge in first the curved edge drops in.

Well why not prepare a test piece if you think something is wrong? The component price shouldn't prohibit you from sacrificing one clip.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks,

I really should have thought of that!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 pm

My car is a +2, so it may be a little different, but the engineering principles will be similar.

My clip is 21 mm and the trim is 20.4mm so it has an interference fit of 0.6mm and needs pressure to fit the items together.

Pop rivet the clips into position, with the clip ears at the top. If you can, use a washer on the rivet to avoid stress cracks.
Hang the trim onto the clip with the angle at the top and rounded edge at the bottom.

You can see from the photos how the trim hags from the clip ears and pushes over the heel.

Apply pressure at the bottom and the trim should spring into place. Sometimes gentle persuasion is required, so a gentle tap with a rubber mallet works.
Clip.JPG and

Trim.JPG and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks Teejay,

I have immediately realised my error - I have the clip as looking at it in your pic, and the trim as though I am looking at the back of it, so when I have them together the clip is the wrong way round, and falls in - Turn it over and all is clear!

Too much thinking and not enough doing!
Thanks
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 pm

The +2 trim and clips, as shown, are entirely different to the Elan`s.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:22 am

Recently had resort to this helpful information although it did not come up on the Plus 2 site.
My clips or strip must be different although certainly earlyish style and look identical to those shown.
I found it impossible to push the lower part of the strip over the clip after first hooking the top over the upper part of the clip. The distance was too great, even I suspect if helped with a large hammer!
Instead I pushed the strip upwards, with gentle help from a hammer and a piece of wood against the bottom edge of the strip.
As it pushed up the bottom hook on the clip fitted into the shape of the lower edge of the strip
Then, as that fit became firm, the the upper lip of the strip could be pushed firmly over the upper ears of the clip, and indeed then lowered a few mm if necessary to a perfect fit.
Regards,
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: