Any ideas for Windshield for 1969 Elan SE

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:20 pm

When I ordered them the last time I was told that the clear windshields are made in the UK by Pilkington who bought the moulds from Triplex & yes they have a minimum run. They are available in the UK on a regular basis but shipping & insurance costs make it very expensive. Too bad they now need a group buy of 25 I only had to get 10.
I would still try to see how many people you can get committed to buying & go back to them even if you don't have 25.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 pm

I am interested in a windshield for my s4. Either clear or tinted is fine, just include me in your plans. If you ship to NJ, I can pick up from your house at some point. No rush. Fingers crossed, paint job will happen this winter. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:59 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:When I ordered them the last time I was told that the clear windshields are made in the UK by Pilkington who bought the moulds from Triplex & yes they have a minimum run. They are available in the UK on a regular basis but shipping & insurance costs make it very expensive. Too bad they now need a group buy of 25 I only had to get 10.
I would still try to see how many people you can get committed to buying & go back to them even if you don't have 25.

Yes, Pilkington USA said it had to be made in the UK and shipped over. He was pretty firm about the 25 and even said I would have to assume full financial responsibility for all 25 windshields before they would consider ordering them. But what I forgot to mention was that he also told me that even should I come with the 25 orders, it will take them approximately 6 to 8 months to make and ship. So between getting up 25 owners to pony up the money and waiting for the shipment, it may be over a year. I'm trying to see if I can get someone in the UK to make a bullet proof wood case and build a styrofoam insert, or better yet surround the glass with that two part foam and then air cargo it over. It will be either that or try to see if I can salvage my existing glass. I have always replaced the glass on all my restorations and would never had imagined it would be this hard to buy one for a popular classic like the Elan.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Good news guys, Just spoke to Pro Source, they are having a few, stress "few", Elan windshields coming in from the UK along with some other items on a air cargo shipment they are getting in a couple of weeks. I guess all the begging worked lol. I put in my order for a clear windshield, but they have some tinted ones as well. The cost was $405. So if you need a windshield in the near future, I suggest you call Richard at 978 975 5400 to reserve one before they disappear again. Now back to work on the Elan, Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: woodcock » Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 pm

I too am interested. Currently the windshield in my "66 coupe is functional but over the years the windshield wiper, right side, scratched the glass & the lower right side has bubbles. I plan a restoration, the famous soon, & would replace the windshield. So add me to the list. Ron
p.s. have a summer house in Lavalette, not a bit of damage & 4th house from the boardwalk so pick-up would not be a problem.
woodcock
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I just put my name on a clear as well.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Spoke with Lois at Pro Source and was informed that I would be contacted when they could get me an S1 windshield. Nothing so far so was wondering what the status appears to be. Any one else heard???

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 am

Same with my S4 glass, still waiting.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tesprit » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 am

Haven't heard anything back on one for my S2 either.
'66 Elan S2
'05 Lotus Elise
'96 Ferrari F355 GTS
tesprit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 am

OK...,just wondering. It was mentioned that they are in stock in the UK, so, once again, I would not think it would be a big deal.

Kurt

26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Anyone heard anything on the windshields? I was just going to send an email to Lois. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tesprit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Nothing. If I hear anything I will report it here.
'66 Elan S2
'05 Lotus Elise
'96 Ferrari F355 GTS
tesprit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: woodcock » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Just received a call from Lois at Pro-Source. She has a windshield for my Elan Coupe but it's slightly tinted. Fine for a drop head but wanted clear for the coupe. As the existing one is not cracked & keeps the bugs out told her I can wait. Anyone interested? See you at LOG 33 next week.
Ron
66 Elan Coupe
91 Elan M100
woodcock
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tesprit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 am

Out of the blue I received a call last week from Lois at Pro-Source that she had just gotten in a S1 Triplex brand non-tinted windshield from England and my name had come up as the first one on her waiting list so she was calling to see if I still needed it. Well, of course I still did (where else was I going to find one in the US?) and after verifying it was the proper early style windshield, I bought it. It arrived today by freight in a huge box that was attached to a pallet about 8 ft long and was contained within another large box that was inside the huge outer one. After extracting the windshield from all the packing I was happy to find it was the exact correct one that I needed for my S2.

I wasn't sure I would ever be able to find a new early Elan windshield here in the US but Lois came through and didn't forget about me. They did an excellent job of packing it to ensure it wouldn't get broken in transit and Lois was great to work with. I would recommend that anyone here in the US needing an Elan windshield to contact Lois at Pro-Source and get on her waiting list. It might take a few months and the windshields aren't cheap, but she will not forget about you and will eventually supply you with the proper windshield for your Elan.
'66 Elan S2
'05 Lotus Elise
'96 Ferrari F355 GTS
tesprit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:45 pm

I picked up my S4 windshield in Andover, MA from Richard a couple of weeks ago in a similarly large box. He put it in the back of his Suburban and met me in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot that would be easier for me to find than his warehouse. Good people. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: