Lotus Elan

ODDIE Bonnet latch system

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Can anyone tell me what winged Dzus fasterner size are used in these Oddie bonnet latches? I assuming it's a size 6, maybe 5. Easiest way to tell is the wing size, size 6 is 1.25" long and 5 is 1.13". Thanks Allan
Attachments
20121125_081635_resized.jpg
20121125_081635_resized.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Allan,
I haven't got a clue, so I thought I would let you know in case you thought I knew everything :lol:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2855
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 am

Spyder fan wrote:Allan,
I haven't got a clue, so I thought I would let you know in case you thought I knew everything :lol:


LOL, the King is dead. Thanks anyway, I was sure I was able to come up with something to stump you :D . I've been doing a lot of research on these Dzus fasteners and they are as complicated as AN threads. But I think I got a handle on them now, well at least until I don't. Seems that all these Dzus fasteners are made in the UK and while the #5 Dzus can be gotten from the normal suppliers, Aircraft Spruce etc., there is little call for the #6, and therefore, no supply unless you order 1000 pcs., and still then you have to wait. The Stainless Steel versions are even harder to get. From the pictures and just playing around with what would look good and function well, so you can get your fingers to actually get into the cup to turn the fastener, I am leaning torwards the #6. While the #5 is only about 0.125" shorter, the cup size drastically reduces in porportion and the thing just looks too small. I guess that's why Dave Bean stop making these years ago and the ones available from Banks Europa looks different and smaller, and they show it with a Bail type of Dzus which IMHO doesn't look as good.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:53 am

I always thought those fasteners looked really good and thought about replacing the bonnet pins on my car. What stopped me? How would you confirm the fastener is fully latched to the bail?

Then, even if latched, the bail is just a piece of wire pop riveted into place on a bracket.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 am

StressCraxx wrote:I always thought those fasteners looked really good and thought about replacing the bonnet pins on my car. What stopped me? How would you confirm the fastener is fully latched to the bail?

Then, even if latched, the bail is just a piece of wire pop riveted into place on a bracket.


Good points, but I have been using Dzus fasteners on my race cars for over 3 decades now and never had a failure, as long as the Dzus is correctly installed. The fastener gives you a physical click when engaged and with my design, would pop up if not. Plus you will have two of them securing the bonnet for insurance. On the other hand, the design of the mechanical system used in our cars now isn't any better if not worse. How many times have we heard of stories where bonnets flew off the car in hard braking? That's why you see so many Elans with hood pins. My Baby Blue one has them from the PO and I think they look out of place. That's why I was looking for another solution. needless to say, I agree with you that these Oddies look pretty cool.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:27 am

gearbox wrote:
StressCraxx wrote:I always thought those fasteners looked really good and thought about replacing the bonnet pins on my car. What stopped me? How would you confirm the fastener is fully latched to the bail?

Then, even if latched, the bail is just a piece of wire pop riveted into place on a bracket.


Good points, but I have been using Dzus fasteners on my race cars for over 3 decades now and never had a failure, as long as the Dzus is correctly installed. The fastener gives you a physical click when engaged and with my design, would pop up if not. Plus you will have two of them securing the bonnet for insurance. On the other hand, the design of the mechanical system used in our cars now isn't any better if not worse. How many times have we heard of stories where bonnets flew off the car in hard braking? That's why you see so many Elans with hood pins. My Baby Blue one has them from the PO and I think they look out of place. That's why I was looking for another solution. needless to say, I agree with you that these Oddies look pretty cool.


I have multiple Dzus fasteners on my Formula Ford and I have had those issues with them. I agree they must be properly installed. My Elan has bonnet pins that were installed by the DPO who lost the bonnet at 90 mph on a two lane road when a large truck passed going the other way.... :roll: :shock:
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: Mike Spence » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:24 pm

Hello, I am looking for a supplier who sells these bonnet latch system. Who can help me with that? Thank you,

Michel S
Attachments
20121125_081635_resized (1).jpg
20121125_081635_resized (1).jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Mike Spence
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:29 pm

Holy thread resurrection BatMan!

I still don’t know…..
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2855
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:22 pm

There was a UK supplier of Europa parts that had a crude example of them, but never found any nicer ones which made me think about making them myself. Haven't gotten back to my Elan yet, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't be replicated. Here is the link to the UK supplier. Good Luck. https://www.lotus-supplies.com/parts/ba ... te-s1-47r/
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 396
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests