Sprint Stripe Location

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 am

I am looking to paint my car this spring to the Sprint two tone with side stripes, and have been collecting pictures of Sprints to guage exactly where the decal should be placed. As for the paint, it looks like the seperation between the two colors start from the top edge of the rear bumper recess and continues to about mid point of the front bumper recess.

sZsi9XwLEo6W6WB4AWt0QZ6mQY7uQZsWEXNGAoNmEoMeIo7OGbdWOXB0OYtuFX6yBZd49nwTFZMyM.jpg and

sZsi9XwLEo6W6WB4AWt0QZ6mQY7uQZsWEXNGAoNmEoMeIo7OGbdWOXB0OYtuFX6yBZd49nwbFZMyM.jpg and

Assuming this is correct, I have noticed several variations on how the Stripe is to be applied.

sprint_dhc.jpg and

On the above car, the stripe is flush with the top of the rear bumper, but the mid stripe between the wheel arches appear too low.

lotus_elan_sprint_1970-44040.jpg and

On this illustration the stripe looks like it starts below the top of the rear bumper, but mid stripe looks about right with the top of the stripe locating splitting the front bumper.

sZsi9XwLEo6W6WB4QYtuAX7OQb7uBXt0BWsqSZciAoNmEoMeIo7OGbdWOXB0uYtuFf6yBZd49mAz6nB4JXtX_.jpg and

This illustration also starts the stripe below the rear bumper but a bit higher, but the top of the mid stripe lines up with the top of the front bumper less the chrome stripe.

lotus_elan_sprint_red_1971_whit.jpg and

This picture shows the rear stripe completely above the rear bumper, but top of the mid stripe is in line with the top of the front bumper.

period sprint.jpg and

I found this period photo (I think it's a period photo) That shows the rear stripe starting about 1" above the highest point of the rear bumper and just a hair, maybe 0.25", below the front bumper.

A.jpg and

B.jpg and

The above pictures was the closest I found matching the period photo.

So I guess the easiest way to answer this question would be, what is the correct orientation of the stripe starting above the highest point of the rear bumper to the top of the stripe and how should it line up with the front bumper. I checked all the historical posts and couldn't find any information of this. I assume these stripes varied from car to car from the factory, but there must be some kind of standardization. Appriecieate the help, Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 am

Hi Alan

Here are three threads with discussions on the sidewinder location:

lotus-elan-f19/overpriced-sprints-register-dodgy-stripes-and-doors-t23305.html
body-chassis-frame-f36/sprint-decals-sidewinders-t23529.html
elan-mods-f31/duratec-project-the-finishing-touch-t22006.html

I have got several period Lotus photos that will help. However the forum is not allowing me to upload them at the moment. Perhaps it's re-grading itself in the small hours US time Sunday morning. Send me a PM or email if you would like them.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Duplicate post removed
Last edited by trw99 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Hi Alan

Here are three threads with discussions on the sidewinder location:

lotus-elan-f19/overpriced-sprints-register-dodgy-stripes-and-doors-t23305.html
body-chassis-frame-f36/sprint-decals-sidewinders-t23529.html
elan-mods-f31/duratec-project-the-finishing-touch-t22006.html

I have got several period Lotus photos that will help. However the forum is not allowing me to upload them at the moment. Perhaps it's re-grading itself in the small hours US time Sunday morning. Send me a PM or email if you would like them.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Tim;

Thanks for the threads, I would have never found the first or last ones as the titles were not very descriptive for the answer I was looking for. The second was was exactly what I was looking for, as to instructions on exact location, but not sure if absolutely correct. Also, as I was reading the threads, they seem to have differing opinions. As for the instructions in the second thread, from Sue Miller, it states that the joining line between the color and white is a straight line from the bottom of the front bumper to 0.75" above the furthest most part of the rear bumper. The stripe is placed exactly in the middle of this line. So with the 3" high stripe, the top of the rear stripe would be 2.25" above the back of the rear bumper. Some posters on the other threads thought it should be level with the top of the rear bumper. While Sue's instructions sounds high to me, I don't think it is centered or leveled with the rear bumper either. If the front joining line is on the bottom of the bumper, that would put the top of the decal just below the top of the front bumper which I believe is the correct location. But would like to hear from the Heritage police on this one. Love to see the period photos, I will PM you. Thanks again and let me know what you think, Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks to Adam Mills, he reminded me that the stripes are 2" high, so that would make the top of the stripe 1.75" above the bumper. Still a tad too high as from the period photos it looks to be only about 1". But again, with nothing physical to guage it by, I have no clue. Any thoughts from Sprint owners?
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 am

I want to know the correct answer here too, as my Sprint is to be painted and re-striped this year. I thought that I had the answer when I read Sue Miller's instructions, but like Allan "Gearbox", my stripes are only 2 inches high, not 3 inches as the instructions claim. Does anyone know for sure, or is it a matter of personal taste?
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 am

I dont profess to know what is correct but here is mine although I did not fit them, I do not know when they were done but have been on for many years.
Attachments
SPRINT FHC.JPG and
stripes 001.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am

I've just had a look in my Brooklands road test book and it seems Lotus put the stripes on at varying heights. In a road test conducted by Autocar in June 1971, AYF 444J has the stripe quite high with almost all of the rear gold part visible above the rear bumper.

In February 1973 John Bolster tested KAH 604L for Autosport. On that car only a tiny amount of the gold is showing above the bumper by the time it reaches the rear of the car. I prefer that look. I think too much of the plain gold stripe above the bumper looks a bit odd.
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Mike, I have to believe that there is a definitive answer as to the "factory standard" despite the fact that in all likelyhood, the stripes were applied by different people with slight variations. From what I have gleaned so far, pictures 4&5 are the pre production illustrations which places the stripe level with the top of the rear bumper. In application, I guess they found it difficult to get the decal to conform with the bumper recess as both the top and bottom of the decal would need to deform making it wrinkle. The 6th picture, as I am told, was the Sprint launch picture at Heathrow (perhaps the first rendition), which shows the rear stripe riding almost on top of the bumper completely which would look like what you would get if you followed Sue Miller's instructions. It may be the picture's angle, but the stripe looks like it has a rake to it, going from down to up as it reaches the rear of the car which I do not believe was the original designer's intention. Just from a gut reaction, I have to believe that picture 7 was close to the standard. This would mean that the joining line would go from the bottom of the front bumper to the top of the rear. Then you straddle the stripe on the center line and you would have stripe 1" high at the very back of the car, and the top of the front just below the top of the front bumper. But again, all this is just conjecture and I was reaching out for the more historically sophisticated members in our group to shed some light on this. Anyone? Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 am

Hey Mike, looks like we were posting at the same time. Yes I agree with you, 1" at the very rear looks right. And your observations coincide with what I posted, the early Sprints had the stripe higher, most likely the first rendition when they found it difficult to apply it dead center of the bumper recess. Then somewhere along the line, management noticed this, and compromised by just letting just the bottom half of the stripe to enter the recess. Again conjecture, but sounds like a good story and I'm sticking to it. So not letting any unknown facts get in the way of a good story, this may go down as Lotus gossple for years to come lol.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 am

Allan,
You have to consider what looks right rather than whats correct. The stripes on the rear panel just before the bumper and blending into it or going over it is the hardest bit to get looking right. Mine were professionally fitted by Adam Mills who goes by the handle of PastaPesto on these forums, Adam as well as being the proprietor of an automotive graphics company is also an Elan owner and enthusiast for many years.

In conjunction with Tim Wilkes who is without doubt the most acknowledged expert on all things Elan Sprint, my stripes were fitted so that the rear stripe tapered into the bumper. You cannot do it any other way if you follow a straight level line from the front wings.
01.jpg and

02.jpg and

03.jpg and

04.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:30 am

Alan;

As always, your car looks superb and yet again you have gotten there before me. I know Adam Mills well from this forum and we have become good friends. He keeps me sane out here in Shanghai with his long and interesting emails. Your car is pretty much what I deem to be correct as well as looking right. Did you start the joining line from the bottom of the front bumper to the top of the rear bumper? If so, that is what I believe to be the correct geometry. This way about an inch sticks up above the rear bumper and the top of the stripe is just slightly below the front bumper.

By the Way, where did you get that front chin spoiler? I was thinking of fabricating something exactly like that, something like what they show for the Elan on the Forza game, front and back. So give it up, what is your source lol. Thanks as always Allan

IMG_6693.JPG and

IMG_6694.JPG and
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Did you start the joining line from the bottom of the front bumper to the top of the rear bumper?

Allan,
Yes exactly the above.

The spoiler is a cut and shut Europa Twincam item. There has been quite a bit of interest in it and perhaps there will be a mould made later this year, but it's not that difficult to alter the Europa spoiler to suit the Elan, S J Sportscars list them for ?64.45 + Carriage http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Clever Alan, I just happen to have a new Europa chin spoiler sitting in my garage from a previous project. Now I have another item on my to do list when I get home lol. Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: