Replacement Seats

PostPost by: bill308 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi Greg,

I'd like to know who is offering the frames/seats also.

Kent Bain, owner of Automotive Restorations in Stratford, CT, USA told me he reproduced them for a client, but this is not a an off the shelf product. If you have the money, time, skill, it can be done as they are fairly simple. This is not a project I want to take on. The S-shaped spring material is available from someone, somewhere.

One other thing Stephan told me was he was basing his new seat reproduction on an original seat he was loaned and currently has in his possession.

Bill.
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't know if this is the best time to post this. After my first long rally in my Elan earlier this year I complained bitterly about the seats-as did others who were on the same rally plus some who were not. Three days after the three day rally my buttocks were still sore (photo not provided). I took the seats out after the rally determined to fix them.

What I found was that the 1 inch thick layer of foam rubber in the base had collapsed-not surprising after fifty years and considering the design! The foam sits directly on top of springs with no protection at all.

I had some replacement 1 inch foam and decided to leave the old foam in place but installed new foam under it by un-clipping the upholstery clips and then pulling the springs away from the back of the foam-I held it away with a 'C' clamp (that is a 'G' clamp for the Limeys). But I also fitted something to stop the springs from working through the foam. It is called "Fitness and equipment mat" and is available at Home Depot. This is closed cell foam that is quite hard to resist gym equipment weight and for the comfort of gym users on concrete floors. I used 3/16 thick but 1/8" would be adequate I think.

I put this between the springs and the new foam-it has to be wriggled in using pliers to pull it and screwdrivers to push it. The seats are now fantastic! The recent rally involved eight hour days on rough roads and my co-driver and I agreed that the seats were very comfortable. Cost? Maybe $20 and an hours work per seat.
img_0766.jpg and
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: foojamme » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Phil, Greg and Davidb,

Yes, it's great to have the info in one place regarding replacement frames and covers for all, thanks for posting that. It's important IMO to keep the Elans looking original, but of course not for all who want to fit other seats. Hope I'm ok bumping this again regarding fitting replacement seats, if only I am looking to fit replacements temporarily and I know there are others who have done this permanently where the conversion info is important too. If we can have that in one place with the original looking spec info, if anyone can help, that would make a great reference point for all seat fitting in one place as it is a little piecemeal in the archives at present.

Thanks to all for the patience bearing with this.

I.
1970 Red Lotus Elan +2S Big Valve, Stage 1 Head - Back on the road!
foojamme
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 am

Spare a thought gentlemen, whilst you read through this topic, for the original poster of the thread, Mick G, who passed away a couple of years ago.

I met Mick a few times at various Lotus meetings and enjoyed his company, a good guy. We will meet again Mick, RIP.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

I had no idea.

RIP MickG... I hope you're travelling on the roads of your dreams...

512BB Thanks for posting
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: foojamme » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks for letting us know, Leslie.

Being new to the forum, all I can say is if only bumping this thread has made people who knew MickG remember him, it's a positive result.
foojamme
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Mick Gilkes lived fairly near to me and would pop up in his Sprint for a lunch time pint every now and again.

He had retired, bought himself a Sprint (having owned a Plus 2S 130 in the past) and proceeded to restore it, very well, himself over the course of 2 years. His widow sold it to another enthusiast after Mick died, his daughter not being in to classic cars.

He was always a happy fellow and I miss his company.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: foojamme » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Update:

The Cobra Cub 038 seats fit the my Elan +2 with a little bit of adjustment to the bolt holes for the seat mounts (4mm each side) and car mount holes on the sliders (which appear to be the universal type), with the use of dome-top 1x1/4 inch UNC Allen bolts and some spacer washers under the rear fitting points to stop the seats catching the carpets.

20170923_111352-upload.jpg and

Very small seats, but they do seem to look right in the car.

If anyone is thinking of fitting these and wants some advice, you're free to PM me.

I.
foojamme
New-tral

PostPost by: DJW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 pm

So to resurrect this thread, after driving sports cars for the last 10 years with generous lateral seat support I was a little shocked to be sliding around the seat on my first spirited drive on some twisties in the +2.

So, I have decided to replace current seats with something more sporty , with knowledge I can put back to standard as and when.

So today I visited GSM Performance near Nottingham where they have a showroom full of seats to try , including around half a dozen retro seats. After trying all the seats I found the following to be best for support and comfort and was pleasantly surprised at price.

https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/shop/rac ... cket-seat/

Yes the stitching is out by 90 degrees, so GSM are getting quote to replicate horizontal banding of Lotus seats which they feel will be around ?40 a seat extra. I?ll keep you posted.

Currently away on business , so can?t check how these dimensions compare with the later front seats. Anyone got dimensions for comparison ?

Lastly does anyone have experience or advice on sorting out runners ? Do I take standard corbeau runners and try to adapt, or get hold of some used lotus runners and adapt they way instead ?

I?m not looking to let anyone else drive the car so worst case I could just fix the seats to floor ? Would be nice and low :wink:
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 pm

DJW wrote:Yes the stitching is out by 90 degrees, so GSM are getting quote to replicate horizontal banding of Lotus seats which they feel will be around ?40 a seat extra. I?ll keep you posted.

Actually on the original seats the horizontals are welds, not stitching....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Fair point. I did send photo of lotus seats so hopefully they?ll suss what they need to do to get as close as possible.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgently » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:06 pm

Excuse my resurrecting an old thread, but I thought I'd share this find - which I'm sure I gleaned from another thread here (but cannot "re-find")

These seem a very close match for the Plus2, and are reasonably priced!

http://www.bbclassics.co.uk/BB1clubsport.html

68 +2 Carnival Red
dgently
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi

Those look really good. Do you know if the head restraints are adjustable?

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi

I bought a set of these.

https://www.bbclassics.co.uk/bb4seats.html

With red stitching. They were new unused and did not fit the car they were bought for. I will post a picture when fitted. I think they will work well with my planned interior.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am

Here is a link to the GTS Classics / Classic Car Seats reproduction Elan seats. They appear to have dealers available over the pond.

Bill mentioned them further up in this thread when they were being designed a few years ago. The results look quite nice.

The model name is Brands Hatch. Unfortunately this model does not appear in the dimensions table though.

https://www.classiccarseats.com/classic ... nds-hatch/

Brands Hatch – one of the most known race tracks in the world and home of British Motorsport. Here Lotus scored their victories, so it was only fitting to name this GTS Classics seat after that famous track in the tradition of British motors port heritage. Designed especially for the Lotus Elan as a replacement seat, but it is also a fit for other British and Italian roadsters as well as many of the Kit Cars.

GTS Classics designed this seat as a replacement and as an upgrade for cars with limited space, and yet for more side support, more comfort, ability to slide back and forth and headrests options. It will fit cars from the late 40’s to the early 70’s.
GTS Classics can match the existing interior or change it to a more colorful design according to your preferences.. The stitching pattern, piping and seat cushion design can also be adapted to the year and model of your choice.

If you need more comfort and your car interior allows for more room, we can customize it to your preference.

No connection, but thought this was the correct thread to add to.
Attachments
707A00B1-076C-4BA9-8B15-31D73029E206.jpeg and
The Brands Hatch seat by Classic Car Seats in California.
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: