Replacement Seats

PostPost by: MickG » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello
I have looked through the archives but cannot find any relevant information thus far.
To put it in a nut shell I am considering fitting new seats to my Elan Sprint but have several queries that hopefully someone can answer.
The seats I propose to fit are Cobra Classic CS or RS style seat http://www.cobraseats.com/_Classic
Size wise I think they will just go in. I have contacted Cobra and several suppliers and it comes as no surprise that a specific sub frame/seat runner assembly is not available for the Elan.
Has anyone fitted this type of seat recently using the Cobra supplied runners?
If so what if any modifications were required?
The reason for this is that I am looking for a suitable seat for the more mature gentleman that has a head restraint.
Failing all else I suppose I could get the original seats recovered.
Any advice/help gratefully received.
Thanks MickG
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 pm

I have nothing to add except I really like the one covered in red. Less bolster and a higher head restraint.
Also, it is narrower than the CS. Might fit a bit better. Maybe it can be done in black.

Sorry, continue on.....
Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I'd would think that they would be tight, they may fit but I am glad you'll be the one spending the money to find out. :)

Right seat width front edge.JPG and

Right seat width toward the rear .JPG and

I don't think they will slide back and forward easily in any event but the only way to find out is to order one and try it.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 pm

We have a Classic in the Mini- it is not for anything other than a "quite skinny mature Gentleman", the bit your arse goes in is much narrower than the Elan seats, the side bolsters are quite thick, come much further forward then Elan seats and the Classic grips your hips with two steel tubes beneath the padding, not at all comfortable for me!

The Elan seat is 470mm wide and completely fills the gap twixt sill and tunnel, the Cobra is 480mm wide, so might not even squeeze in (bear in mind the hidden steel side frame).

I think that the modern seats which Elan folks have fitted are the sort used in Caterhams.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks for the comments so far guy's.
Gary,
Thanks for taking the time to do the measuring. I have measured between the tunnel and sill and it is 470mm and a bit. I thought the bit might be enough. I am asking the questions from you knowledgeable people before spending any cash :wink:
Pete
I personally am quite a short skinny arse (5'9 / 30 inch waste) the misses would be a problem though.
Thanks for the comfort report, not what I hoped to hear.
I was also concerned about the fitting and adjustment of the seats, anybody any experiance of this?

All in all seems not to be such a good idea. Perhaps it's down to recovering the existing with a bit of additional seat padding.

Thanks again
MickG
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Mick,
Why not shoot over to Burton Power in Ilford and try one for size?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 pm

First port of call Pete.
Unfortunately they did not have one in stock despite what their web site says.
MickG
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi Mick,
How about getting your seats re-covered and converted to Federal specification. See this old thread for information http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-f14/elan-seats-t25529.html

If you do decide to go the Corbeau / Cobra route make sure you carefully store your old seats and don't even dream of selling them on. Original seats are eye wateringly rare and expensive when you need some!

Regards

Alan (Down under in Perth Australia)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Hi Mick,
How about getting your seats re-covered and converted to Federal specification. See this old thread for information http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-f14/elan-seats-t25529.html

If you do decide to go the Corbeau / Cobra route make sure you carefully store your old seats and don't even dream of selling them on. Original seats are eye wateringly rare and expensive when you need some!

Regards

Alan (Down under in Perth Australia)

If you are "sinking" into the seat get them rebuilt to standard, it is likely that the foam is quite compressed. resist the urge to have "extra" foam installed, they will be quit full if rebuilt properly. Nix the head restraints of the federal seats, I don't like them much, I'm 5' 7" and they hit me in the middle of my neck, not too comfortable for me anyway.

Thats my 2 cents

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 am

Hello Mick ,any update on the seat replacement ? , I found an alternative that looks good , but sure who makes them ! regards Pete.
Attachments
nurb7.jpg
nurb7.jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for that Pete.
They look very much like the Cobra Classic RS seat, a little to wide unfortunately.
After much deliberation and advice received I have decided to stick with the original seats and get them recovered.
Thanks to all those that have taken the time to reply.
Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dodo_z » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 pm

I have BF-Torino "Silverstone" seats, they have the same angle are much more comfortable and fit perfectly into the limited space a Elan offers.

http://shop.bf-torino.com/bf-autositze/ ... re=default

The quality of BF-Torino is outstanding, absolutely not comparable to the cheap Cobra classic seats.

dietmar
dodo_z
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Dietmar,
Thanks for the information, they look like a good replacement and as you say small enough to fit.
How did you fit the seats? what type of runners/adaptors did you use?

Thanks Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dodo_z » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:45 am

MickG wrote:... they look like a good replacement and as you say small enough to fit.

According to their website they have about 430mm width which is pretty small. They do not provide much lateral support, so more or less you sit on top of them.
The seats are mounted on the offered seat rails.

The main difference between a original Elan seat and the Silverstone seat is the headrest and the fact, that they have a better upholstery.

I also have BF Torino "N?rburgring B14R" for about 8 years in my Mini convertible, even after that time and moe than 60.000km driving they show no signs of wear.

dietmar
dodo_z
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 am

Mick,
I don't know if you have noticed, in the other seat thread, that Elise seats can be fitted- they look like a good option for a road car and might be available readily second-hand.

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-f14/alternative-seats-that-fit-t22949.html
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: