Lotus Elan

Spyder Roll and anti intrusion bars

PostPost by: gearbox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:54 am

I am contemplating a Spyder Chassis and getting the roll bar and side bars from them. I searched this forum and googled the subject and was surprised that I didn't find any pictures of the installation process or pictures of the car with the bar installed. Anyone here have any? I understand the install is pretty straight forward, having to cut some holes in the wheel wells. But I am more concerned with limiting the seat travel and rearward vision. I'm 6' tall with 32" inseams. So does the roll bar reduce the seat travel and by how much? Any other comments and pictures regarding the install are welcome. Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:05 am

Allan

Alan Thomas has this set up installed on his "Supersprint" (or ThooperThpwint as I call it!). If you drop him a line he will be able to help.

Tim
User avatar
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Location: Essex/Herts border, UK

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Yes and I'd like to know if it can be fitted in a coupe.....
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 781
Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPost by: gearbox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:37 pm

trw99 wrote:Allan

Alan Thomas has this set up installed on his "Supersprint" (or ThooperThpwint as I call it!). If you drop him a line he will be able to help.

Tim


Thanks Tim, I PM'ed him.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I would like to see the Spyder bars side and footwell intrusion bars installed too. I have a Sprint coupe with a Spyder chassis and have been told that the Spyder roll-over bar obstructs the view in the rear view mirror. Is this the case? Tim recommends contacting Alan Thomas, but I don't know how to do that.

Mike
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Given that Spyder have been one of the main suppliers to Elan owners for some little while, it is surprising that they do not have a complete set of web-savvy instructions/photos, etc. Or do they and we don't know about it?
User avatar
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: Allison » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Allan and Mike,

Hi, our Elan has a Safety Devices roll cage and a semi-Spyder chassis (I gave Spyder an old Lotus chassis and they produced a new chassis with Spyder fittings - provision for double rear wishbones, strengthened rear turrets, round vacuum tank, detachable strut under the engine and thicker engine bay metal). The two went together pretty well. I'm 5'11" and the seat has adequate movement for me. The only problem I had was the connection between the footwell bar and the side impact bar. This ended up pressuring the outer cill and we had to get that attended to and resprayed. I also had to do quite a lot of work to shave off fibreglass which was obstructing the run of the side bar. I attach a close up of the rear screen showing the visibility.
I can do more picture tomorrow if that helps
Peter
Attachments
Copy of March 2010 (1).jpg and
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Location: Norfolk, England

PostPost by: gearbox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 pm

TroonSprint wrote:I would like to see the Spyder bars side and footwell intrusion bars installed too. I have a Sprint coupe with a Spyder chassis and have been told that the Spyder roll-over bar obstructs the view in the rear view mirror. Is this the case? Tim recommends contacting Alan Thomas, but I don't know how to do that.

Mike


Mike, I have already done so. Soon as he responds, I will post his pictures up here. Stay tuned.

elansprint71 wrote:Given that Spyder have been one of the main suppliers to Elan owners for some little while, it is surprising that they do not have a complete set of web-savvy instructions/photos, etc. Or do they and we don't know about it?


ES71, me too. I am more surprised that there is nothing on this stie as well, from owners who have installed them. Somehow, most of the Lotus parts perveyors have limited websites which were never upgraded since the 90's, and Spyder being one of them. The only thing they had on there web site was instructions on running taps through their new chassis and how to fit one http://www.spydercars.com/new_page_7.htm (mostly all text) and the only picture was this grainy one with the roll bar.
CB-3_R_O_B_SYSTEM.jpg and



I will keep everyone posted, and thanks for all the replies.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: gearbox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:57 pm

Allison wrote:Allan and Mike,

Hi, our Elan has a Safety Devices roll cage and a semi-Spyder chassis (I gave Spyder an old Lotus chassis and they produced a new chassis with Spyder fittings - provision for double rear wishbones, strengthened rear turrets, round vacuum tank, detachable strut under the engine and thicker engine bay metal). The two went together pretty well. I'm 5'11" and the seat has adequate movement for me. The only problem I had was the connection between the footwell bar and the side impact bar. This ended up pressuring the outer cill and we had to get that attended to and resprayed. I also had to do quite a lot of work to shave off fibreglass which was obstructing the run of the side bar. I attach a close up of the rear screen showing the visibility.
I can do more picture tomorrow if that helps
Peter


Peter, Thanks for the pics. What did you need to do to fix the misaligned sill bar? Cut and weld? Also assuming the Saftey Devices bar is the same dimensionally as the Spyder set up, I would love to see how the tubing is laid throughout the car and what it interfers with, if anything. I am assuming the rear bar intrudes on seat travel (one notch?), but is the front bar behind the pedals, below it, or in front of it? As for the rearward vision, it's a trade off from seeing clearly behind you or surviving a potential shunt. But how bad is it? Bad enough to miss the occasional police cruiser pulling up behind you, or not being able to see at all or with major blind spots? If so, I have to re think those new Sebring Mirrors I have and go with the later flag type mirrors. Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I have had two Elans with the Spyder bars. Yes it does limit seat travel. I am 5'9" and the car now just fits with the seat all the way back. I suppose I could take some measurements if you like. And the inside rearview mirror is somewhat blocked, one needs to move a bit to see straight back, but it can be done.
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 22 Feb 2011

PostPost by: gearbox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 am

PanoGuy wrote:I have had two Elans with the Spyder bars. Yes it does limit seat travel. I am 5'9" and the car now just fits with the seat all the way back. I suppose I could take some measurements if you like. And the inside rearview mirror is somewhat blocked, one needs to move a bit to see straight back, but it can be done.


Thank you for the reply. If you can take a measurement from the back of the seat where the seat back meets the bottom cushion to where your heels would rest below the pedals, that would be great. I figure I need around 41" without my knees hitting the dash. Thanks again Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 405
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Location: Westfield, New Jersey USA

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:58 am

These other posts may help (from the Racing section). Also look up posts by stevewww as he mentioned his Spyder roll bar fixings a few years ago.

elan-racing-f12/full-roll-cage-t21156.html

elan-racing-f12/sill-members-t13890.html

elan-racing-f12/safety-device-rollbars-advices-please-t12521.html
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Location: Kent

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 pm

41" will put your foot at a more vertical angle to the gas pedal than is quite ideal, but you may find that it works. My heel rests at closer to 39" with my foot more angles to the horizontal. When I got my Elan I found the headrest push my head forward so I always had a thin pillow against the backrest.
When I got the rollbar I found I no longer had the space for it so I pulled the cover off the seat and removed some of the padding from the headrest. At the same time I added some foam to improve the shape of the seat, a big improvement for me until the foam perished. I suppose it's time to re-do that part of the job.
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 22 Feb 2011

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm 5' 11" and have the Spyder chassis and roll bar and side/foot thingies.
Snug as a bug in a rug.
No issues, plenty of leg room
Rear view is fine (Ihave an S2 Exige so it's brilliant by comparison).
I guess we all have slightly favoured seating positions and if you can find one to sit in, that would be best.
If you pass Eastbourne, please feel free to drop by.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Allan,
I am 6 foot tall and Tim Wilkes is similar, he had no problem being a passenger in my car yesterday and no problem driving either. The Spyder system must be good as I felt safe with him driving and the car has 180BHP!

I have emailed all this to you, but it seems others are interested. The only parts to show when fitted are the obvious roll over bar assembly and the fottwell intrusion bars which are only spotted when you look inside the footwells if that makes sense...... The side intrusion bars are hidden behind the carpeted inner sills.

The seat travel is restricted slightly on the passenger side, but not restricted on the drivers side. There are left hand drive and right hand drive versions, just order the one to suit your car.

If you dont't want the roll bar, but like the idea of the side impact and footwell intrusion bars, you can order these on their own.http://spydercars.co.uk/elan_side_and_foot_well_protecti.htm

01.jpg and

02.jpg and

05.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2635
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK
Next

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests