Dash Loom Routing.

PostPost by: Bob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi,
I am sure this has been aired before on here but I cannot find photos to assist.
I am replacing the loom in my S4 with new standard looms, the existing set up was in place when I bought the car some years ago it was a home made loom I just could not follow what it was doing and could not fault find as there was no rational colour coding so I decided to replace them.

Thus I never had an old loom to see the routing. If anybody could post a few photos of the routing behind the dash and by the steering column I would be most grateful.

Any tips would help aswell, the looms were from Matty, the first thing I notice they had modern instrument bulb holders I had to sort out which bulbs to use, they turned out to be RW501 12v 5w tail light bulbs. The speedo illumination bulb holder I had to replace it simple would not allow a 12v screw in bulb to fit just a bad chinese copy I expect.

The loom also has a hazard warning circuit any information of where the switches and lights fitted in the dash I would be grateful for otherwise I think I will simple blank them.

Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 pm

S2 Wiring loom - where does it run behind the dash?
elan-f14/wiring-loom-where-does-run-behind-the-dash-t19423.html

see if this link helps

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 pm

Bob, I have just replaced the 3 wiring loom in my LHD S4. I will post as many pictures below as the memory restrictions allow. However if you send me you e-mail address i will send you the complete file. I took photos before i replace the loom.

James

PS; the hazzard switch is fitted on the parking (hand) brake bracket
Later Note: FATBOYZ is correct: It is the Bonnet bracket not the handbrake bracket the hazzard switch is attached (had a brainfart)

Later Note: I took the photos on Hi Resolution to capture the details. File sizes are large and will not upload to site. e-mail me and i can send you all the photos via yousendit.com

[email protected]
Last edited by holywood3645 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for all the help, the S2 photos will be of help soon, I have an S2 to sort out as well.
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:52 am

Hello Bob,
Did my 68' S4 a few (or more) years ago. These points I make will be for my car, yours may or may not be the same. The new looms I used also came from PM. The only problem I found was when trying to wire the indicating (blinkers) system from the steering column switches. Can't recall specifically what I had to do, but it involved making some modifications to the loom. They may have addressed these problems by now. However, it is necessary to use a multimeter to test the continuity of all circuits once the loom is fitted to the dash but before fitting to the car. Much easier to rectify errors before fitting.
I also found that the heater box fouled the wiring from the back of the ignition switch and I had to bend the contacts, a little, for clearance.

The switch for the hazard warning system is a sliding switch, the same as fitted to the inside of the glovebox for the alarm, and is located on the bracket that supports the bonnet/hood opening handle under the R/H side of the dash. The indicator light is red and is located 1" to the right of the amber, brake warning light on the R/H side of the dash.

Here is a photo' of the back of the dash before fitting to the car. Some things to note:

1/ 6 Plastic 'P' clips, with screws, to secure the loom to the dash. The top 5 clips screwed into the wooden doubler panel used for mounting top row of switches. The bottom clip screwed into the doubler for the bottom row of switches. The use of the clips is not original, but will keep things neat and tidy and aid fitting. If you use these clips, make sure that the screws are not too long, makes a real mess when they exit the front of the dash!
2/ The part of the loom disappearing at the centre left is to the instruments and warning lamps.
3/ The part of the loom disappearing to the bottom left is to the steering colunm.
4/ The part of the loom disappearing to the centre right is to the alarm switch in the glovebox and then on to the wiper motor. This is actually routed under the glovebox. There should be two sets of holes in the floor of the glovebox through which you can pass cable ties to support the loom.
5/ The part of the loom disappearing to the bottom right (note: this consists of two parts of the loom cable tied together) is the main part of the loom that attaches to the looms from the engine bay and the boot/trunk. This junction is at the top of the passenger footwell.

Regards,
Colin.

Bob wrote:Hi,
I am sure this has been aired before on here but I cannot find photos to assist.
I am replacing the loom in my S4 with new standard looms, the existing set up was in place when I bought the car some years ago it was a home made loom I just could not follow what it was doing and could not fault find as there was no rational colour coding so I decided to replace them.

Thus I never had an old loom to see the routing. If anybody could post a few photos of the routing behind the dash and by the steering column I would be most grateful.

Any tips would help aswell, the looms were from Matty, the first thing I notice they had modern instrument bulb holders I had to sort out which bulbs to use, they turned out to be RW501 12v 5w tail light bulbs. The speedo illumination bulb holder I had to replace it simple would not allow a 12v screw in bulb to fit just a bad chinese copy I expect.

The loom also has a hazard warning circuit any information of where the switches and lights fitted in the dash I would be grateful for otherwise I think I will simple blank them.

Bob
Attachments
Elan Dashboard Wiring.jpg and
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: