vacuum pod repair

PostPost by: RichC » Sat May 12, 2012 9:19 pm

just as well it was a bright evening yesterday , as the driver's headlamp failed to rise and the passenger side just about shone over the bumper as we were coming home from a very nice visit to the Red Lion in Manningtree which has just been given a makeover & reopened.
Transpires that the driver's side diaphragm had split & today Susan Miller gave me the bad news that it would be a couple o weeks before stock comes in .
065.JPG and
066.JPG and

Despite posts to the contrary I thought I'd have a bash at deconstructing the pod to see if a repair was possible .It was & pictures below show how it can be possible to undo the seam , access the diaphragm for repair with cycle inner tube patch and then knock the seam back together again . I decided it wasn't necessary to redo the seam quite as tight as before , which will make it a little quicker to access the diaphragm next time. To ensure correct location of the diapragm between the two halves I smeared a little silicone sealant on top half before reassembly. I've just painted the seam with hammerite so will refit tomorrow
068.JPG and

The diaphragm had failed along a crease line I suspect caused by the pod plunger being out of line with it's anchor point , causing a slight twist in the diphragm on tightening
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Rich,

Well done. I think that's a first!

Looks like the diaphragm wasn't perished, as such, due to any fuel contamination for example.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gazzamuffin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm

hmmm interesting I have a pair of pods which have seen better days, after reading this i think i might have a go at dis-assembling them to see if i can save them (and the ?75 each I have been quoted for new ones!)
gazzamuffin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi

Years ago I actually went to the trouble of making these in grp using, of all things, a Sainbury xmas pudding container (only because it was the correct size). I added a flange on both halves where they meet so they could be bolted together and fibreglassed in the necessary bracketry in stainless steel. The steel connecting rods I replaced with brass and used silicon to seal the 4 halves when bolting together. Worked fine for years- until I went for electric lift. The guy who bought them from me is still using them (untouched) 15 odd years later. Cost- about ?15 in materials plus lots of time and patience.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Just how did you open the seam Rich?
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 pm

sorry Henry , you've probably worked it out by now, (ahem!) but for those others of you, just try peeling back the lip of the 'equator' fold... that's all it is , no spot welds or glue. I used a decent screwdriver blade, little and often all round . Getting it started is the trickiest .
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ethanlance » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

I recently took my vacuum pod apart.

Years ago my dad had cut the top off to get to the rubber diaphragm and he repaired a tear. Well 40 years later the repair failed and the old diaphragm was too far gone so I decided to replace the rubber with a inner tube and lots of rubber cement.

Figured I’d share my results.

92B5A3F1-8C4D-4FB4-8289-73ADDF4AF508.jpeg and

931922CE-32F0-48E7-B9FD-049C14163A90.jpeg and

94E996B0-5944-44CB-B32F-9D2E6F8FDDEF.jpeg and
ethanlance
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 am

ethanlance wrote:I recently took my vacuum pod apart.

Years ago my dad had cut the top off to get to the rubber diaphragm and he repaired a tear. Well 40 years later the repair failed and the old diaphragm was too far gone so I decided to replace the rubber with a inner tube and lots of rubber cement. ...

Brings back memories of my own dad rebuilding a 69 Plus 2 in the '80s, which I subsequently enjoyed for some 15 years. Wish the car were still with me. And the dad.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: