Correct type door seals

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 pm

elancoupe wrote:
RogerFrench wrote:
Ray at http://www.rdent.com/ lists the flap type. I'll be getting some soon.

Years ago, I bought the flap type from Ray, they were still too thick for good door closure, even trimmed as per the instructions.

I do not know if he has a different source these days.

I got the seals from Ray in early 2005, these were much better than the ones that I had bought from Don Tingle in the previous century. The factory fit had been disturbed and this was as good as I could get after spending the day. Maybe someone could have done a better job but it was a two step process, set them without the seals and reset them again with them. Maybe I could get some better pictures but the car lives 60 miles away now. I regret selling it but I bought an Elite basket case and some dog food too.

Attachments
36-5520 delivery.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 pm

elancoupe wrote:
RogerFrench wrote:
Ray at http://www.rdent.com/ lists the flap type. I'll be getting some soon.

Years ago, I bought the flap type from Ray, they were still too thick for good door closure, even trimmed as per the instructions.

I do not know if he has a different source these days.

Botheration!!!!!
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm

The door fit on my Sprint is absolute rubbish- probably the worst I have seen, even Option 1 could do nothing about it. The doors on my un-messed about with S4SE are a perfect fit, no sticking out at all. The difference? It is the seals.
Last week I was in Kent so called in at COH Baines and had a look through their stock with the helpful guys in the warehouse. I took a sample of the seal from my S4, see photo, and they said they had never seen anything like it!

They thought that the nearest thing they had was DX78 and they gave me that and a couple of other samples, which were too bulky.

As you can see the DX78 looks like it would work (it is about the right compressibility, compared to my original) but... these seals are designed for fitting over steel rather than chunky( :roll: ) glass-fibre and carpet and the U-section with the wire inclusion is not really deep enough to get a good grip. You can see the difference in the photo.
The DX73 shown above in the photo also looks to be lacking in the U-section dimension.
I've looked thro' their catalogue and all the sections which look like they might be a possibility are too bulky or do not compress enough; interestingly the DX sections are described as "draught excluders" and the heavier sections as "door seals".

I think that I'll try some of the flap-type seal suggested by others previously.
Last edited by elansprint71 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:36 pm

I just bought some ETS 60 from Seals+ Direct, it looked very much like the flap type however when I put on the car ( S1 Elan ) the doors had to be forced to close, so off it came back to simple edge trim.
Although it did not fit its well worth a look at the companies web site.
Regards
Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Any more developments on this issue - is the flap type seal from Woolies the one to go for ?

I've just arrived at this problem myself.
Spent yesterday rehanging my doors and got them closing nicely and fitting pretty well. So today I came to fitting the new seal that I got from one of the usual suspects a couple of years ago. I must admit I hadn't even looked at it before now - just assumed it would be OK - but it turns out to be the bulb type and is absolutely useless, I can't close the door at all with it fitted, it's way too thick.
For the record here's a pic of what they supplied and the original seal on the left.......it was never going to fit was it !!
Any new ideas ?
Attachments
Door seal 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I would experiment with trimming down the new section, assuming that you have enough of it.

Perhaps on the bandsaw cutting it right through the middle of the section initially and then trimming back the 2 liberated flaps with a knife or scissors.

It will look a bit naff of course but maybe you coud tidy it up by bonding in some circular section extruded close cell foam.

Baines will make a die and run off a batch, it just needs a company who wants to invest in the tooling, buy and stock the minimum run to resell.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Roger

I fitted the door seal, with the lip, from wollies a month ago, and it fit my car just fine.
The closes like it did before with the bottom sticking out;-)
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Jas wrote:Hi Roger

I fitted the door seal, with the lip, from wollies a month ago, and it fit my car just fine.

Can you list the Woolies part number please? Thanks.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Wollies 265A
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1285-door-seal.aspx
See also the first page of this thread.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Jas wrote:Hi Roger

Hi Jannik,
Thanks for the update.
Just to be clear...Are you saying that the bottom of your doors already stuck out before you fitted the new seal or that the new seal caused them to stick out ?
Thanks
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm

The term "windlace" has been used elsewhere. It's not familiar to me, but found it used here in NZ for example.

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/product.pasp?c ... uctid=1070

Maybe there's a "windlace" somewhere that would be a better fit.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm

I looked through the products on the NZ www site. They have the piece that attaches to the body that is similar to the orginal fabric covered style, and looks big enough to work on thicker fiberglass edging. I could only find the seal part in the bulb design.
If we could find the manufacturer, they may have some with the flap...

The search goes on.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:03 pm

ardee_selby wrote:The term "windlace" has been used elsewhere. It's not familiar to me, but found it used here in NZ for example.

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/product.pasp?c ... uctid=1070

Maybe there's a "windlace" somewhere that would be a better fit.

Cheers - Richard

Might I suggest a Robert Robinson avatar? :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm

elansprint71 wrote: Might I suggest a Robert Robinson avatar? :wink:

Thanks for that... :x

Private Eye used to lampoon Robert Robinson under the nickname 'Smuggins' :shock: :lol:

Cheers - Rick
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:20 pm

holywood3645 wrote:I looked through the products on the NZ www site. They have the piece that attaches to the body that is similar to the original fabric covered style, and looks big enough to work on thicker fiberglass edging. I could only find the seal part in the bulb design.
If we could find the manufacturer, they may have some with the flap...

The search goes on.

James

What about this one? Comes up as 1972 Elan in their search by model. Looks similar to the Woolies one with 11 mm dimension in the drawing; not sure if it is same measurement orientation though. Jannik, looks like you got the last bit from Woolies as they list the stuff for re-stock in a week or two.

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/product.pasp?c ... ductid=387

This one comes up a Elan, 1968 to 1973, but no pic. Has some dimensions listed though. Sounds like a bulb type?

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/product.pasp?c ... ductid=386

My new Plus 2 seals I ordered from Ray at RD shipped today, so will see if they fit next week. They are the bulb type, so probably not suitable for Elan. he does have flap style as well, but i have not tried them (yet).

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: