Elan S3 wing mirrors

PostPost by: rogerem » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:52 pm

i have an S3 and does not have any wing mirrors. does somebosy has some original ones to sell? How do they look like? Arethere any other ones more racing looking? If so can somebody send me a picture and where I can find them?

Thank you
rogerem
New-tral

PostPost by: triumphelan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:24 am

I don`t think they had wing mirrors fitted as standard
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:48 am

I remember this topic being discused a while ago.
The conclusion was that there are two types of wing mirror that owners tend to fit on Elans.
The first is the type I have on mine which is the chrome rectangular mirrors used on British Leyland cars in the 70s.
The second type is the bullet racing mirrors. I have had these on various cars and find them very limiting as it tends to be a problem of where you can fit them to give you a semi reasonable view.
You can see a picture of my mirrors at :-
http://groups.msn.com/cliveyboylotus/el ... PhotoID=13.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am

The mirrors on your car look just right, Clive, and they seem to be fitted to most Plus 2s as well. Does anyone know a supplier for this type? I agree that the bullet type are next to useless, and they look a little too big on Elans somehow. My S3 has never had any mirrors fitted...I bought it from the original owner 30 years ago so I'm pretty confident it has always been like this.
By the way Clive, is your Elan Colorado Orange, or is my monitor playing up? Nice to see if it is...most Sprints seem to have been repainted red and white which is a lovely combination...but can't beat the old 70's colours and originality of course.
Cheers...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:55 pm

Mark,

Have a look at Stafford Vehicle Components - http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/
The mirrors I got for my +2 S130 are about the 6th one down on the mirror page.

Stafford are not the cheapest but I have found them good to deal with.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Mark
My mirrors were from Mattys. They were about ?30 a pair.
You should also be able to source them from various classic parts suppliers as they would be used on a lot of cars from that era.
You are spot on with the colour it is "Colorado Orange"

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:47 am

mine was drilled for a bullet mirror on the fender or I would have used SPA ones from Pegasus they work on the vee and the 7 just fine ---ed 8)
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi all,
I need an `Alexander' alloy bullet mirror for an S3.
Are they still available ?
Thanks.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:33 pm

I had the same story with my S3, no mirrors. But, after talking with people, I had 2 conclusions. If you mount any, make sure that the backside washer is as big as possible to spread the load across the fiberglass. Some of these are pretty heavy, so the lighter the mirror the better.
Second, I decided not to put one on, and instead, based the rec of someone on the site, installed a really cool little mirror on the inside corner of the windshield called the Autobahn mirror. It was something like $20, and lets you even see in the blind spot.
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Same here. Between the Autobahn mirror and turning my head I have a pretty good view of whats around me.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:42 am

The 'rectangular' mirrors look like standard MG mirrors of the same era, they look linke the ones fitted to my mg MG midget (which I sold to buy an Elan). if so have a look at the MG Owers club web site. Thhey have a decent range

http://www.mgocaccessories.co.uk/acatal ... rs_96.html

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi ,
Same story with my 66' FHC S3 ; no mirrors on the car since new but for a continental use (I bought the car in England and is RHD), I put a pair of chromed Sebring's (sort of "flat" bullet )on the doors .
I still think than the "Leyland" version (same as nice Clyve's S4 ) is too "new" for an S3 ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:54 pm

I found I suddenly had a desire to see what was going on behind (old age or everything getting quicker?) and due to weight/ crazing etc fears fitted one of those little window channel mirrors as an experimen. Result - works really well as close to eye and doesn't interfere with window operation.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Ian,
Who was your supplier ?

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 pm

Doug,

I bought it at the Motorsport Show at Stonleigh last year (worth a visit in Feb). But people like Holden sell them. www.holden.co.uk Go to hardware, mirrors, clamp on mirrors.

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: