Console on Elan +2S

PostPost by: cdraper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:16 am

The console on my +2 is very "shaky" and having removed it I find the the mylar body is in a hundred little split pieces. CN do list new consoles but say they are unable to supply do to probelms with the fibreglass shell. Clearly a fiblerglass shell is a better idea than a mylar one. I have considered using fiberglass to repair the original - or gluing in plywood.
Has anybody else had a similar problem and what fixes are recommended.
Does anybody else make the shell - Nick Millar - Spyder ?????
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:54 am

I bought a fibre glass replacement from paul Matty years ago and had it recovered.
the fitting was surprisingly good.
hope this helps

Robin

69 stromberg elan plus two
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:39 am

Hi There

I know the sort of cracking you mean. I am sure that it could be fixed with fibreglass. Sheet aluminium would be easier I guess.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:54 am

I have a simmilar problem with the under-dash trim, especially around where the fog lamp switches are mounted. To repair I laid up fibreglass directly behind the exising material, or on to a tin jig, then re-glued the nylon to it. This worked well.

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:36 am

Spyder make the shell and will re-cover it for you too if you want - They did mine for the Zetec, which has the gear lever slightly further back from standard, and I was pleased with the result. Can't remember how much, but I don't think it was hugely expensive. I'm sure that they'd do a standard one for you if you give them a call.
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:57 pm

Hello cbdraper,

Plasticard and Evo Stick Contact is excellent for reinforcing localised cracking and, if it's sufficiently thin and flexible, holding together the splits found along the ninety degree edges of the centre console and black under-dash trims.

Hope this helps,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: