How do you take off the dash board?

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Guys,
As part of the rewire I have decided to take out the dash and remove the birdsnest behind it,surly such a small car doesnt need so much wiring? Anyway,I have taken off the 4 bolts holding the corners and the brackets below the air vents.It all seems a bit loose but not loose enought to take away the dash.Is there something that Im missing?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Paul,
From memory you also need to:
a. Disconnect the eyeball vents from the vent tubes
b. Take off the heater control knobs (held on by small grub screws)
c. Remove the centre consol to allow access to two bolts at the bottom of the dash
d. Remove gear stick which gives you more working space.

You may also need to remove the steering wheel and lower the steering column.

Good luck!

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Ah,I thought I might have to take out the centre,hoping I didnt,never mind.But I didnt think about lowering the steering so thanks for that tip.
Many thanks,but as rain and time stopped play,ill crack on next weekend,

Regards,

Paul.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi Paul

On mine I also had to remove the Bonnet Pull cable, choke cable, speedo drive cable as well. with the bonnet pull cable off dont forget to fix something temporary just in case U drop the bonnet when the bonnet pull has been removed!

Also at each side of the dash there are two small brackets that are held with the door courtesy light switches.

I think plus the other posts, steering wheel does have to come off, thats it

best of luck

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mr.vman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:53 pm

I have been working on my instrument panel also. Remove the heater cables from the left side of the heater box (good luck). Do not remove the levers from the box! Removing the heater control plastic knobs is not needed until the control unit is removed. The wire harness is short. No doubt, many wires will have to be removed from various electrical connectors, mark the wires before removing (lower left side). The center console needs to be removed, and the underdash trims if the car has them. Take the battery out of the circuit before you start! Steering column should come, not that bad. Removing the side vents makes getting at the upper screws less of a problem if there are "nuts" behind the panel that need to be backed up (they rotate out). With the other directions from other posts, this should be a good start. Have fun. Steve V. +2 In Arizona
mr.vman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Paul

You also need to remove the demister vents from the top of the dash pad.

When you pull the dash away you will find that there are some wires that need to be disconnected and aslo the speedo drive cable. The majority of the dash loom terminates in a bundle of bullet connectors on the left hand side of the tunnel.

Take lots of photos as you start to pull the dash away and label every cable you disconnect.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Paul, you get the neatest wiring job behind the dashboard, if all (almost) of the wiring is attached to the back of the dashboard and then connector plugs (multiple wires) are used to connect dash back into car. This means making up your own dashboard loom : invest in quality crimpers and lots of heatshrink.

regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Paul,

All of the above and I remove the radio too as it helps to get at the screws that hold the heater controls on. Also need to disconnect the oil pipe to the pressure gauge if you have the mechanical type as the pipe isn't that long. The trip reset knob may need removing depending where yours is located. Definitely lower the steering column

Don't forget there is an earth wire going to the lower dash mount bolt(s) too.

Plenty of photo's from each stage of the disassembly is very useful as you can imagine.

Good luck

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok Guys,

Still trying to get this dash out,heres where im at.

I have taken the vents out and the ducting,

Under these are brackets (at each corner) and I have undone these,

I have taken off the fittings to the speedo (x2),

Radio is out,

The bolts have been taken out the dash (X4),

The heater controls are taken off,

I havent worked out how to take out the centre consul,any advice from the forum? The dash seems very loose but doesnt want to come off,am I missing somthing?Id really like this off asap so I can get on with the re wire.

Many thanks,Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi Paul

I have attached the Lotus manual info re removing the dashboard. I notice it says 6 screws for the dash I think U have got to get out the 2 covered by the transmission tunnel top
have also attatched a picture of my dash upside down bottom at the top and you can see the two remaining bolts U have got 2 get out.

Best of Luck

Bob
Attachments
P4100039.JPG and
sc007ff9d7.jpg and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Bob,

Thank you very much for that,I'll follow that tomorrow and see how I get on.just as a point,I don't think earthing the tank and filler is a bad idea,it will certainly reduce the risk of static build up.

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Paul, what year is your car?

I have a February 1970 car with the newer style interior and tunnel cover/console. As Bob mentions, there are two dash screws that are covered by the console. The only decent way for me to remove the console is to remove at least one front seat (no big deal there), then remove or at least detach the rear sear system. On my car, this means removing the seat cushions (bottoms), removing the inside seat belt from each seat position, removing the screws at the forward edge of the parcel tray so it can be lifted up to reveal a couple more screws that attach the upper edge of the seating "box" to the metal crossmember.

Then you can lift out the entire fiberglass box structure which contains the seat "squabs", etc. Once this is out, the console will come out (with removal of the forward screws, shift knob, etc). If you're lucky and brutish and careful (and/or have assistance), you can detach the rear seat box and carefully lift it up and clear of the rear of the console (without actually removing it from the car) and then slip the console up at the forward edge and then out.

Once the console is out, you can easily remove the two remaining dash screws, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but that's the procedure on my car. :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Randy,

Thanks,jan 01 1970,so probably the same thing needs to be done to mine.I didn't think it would need a complete strip out just for the dash to be removed.still, these things are sent to try us!!

Many thanks

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, the first time I did it I thought the same thing.

But once you "get the hang of it", you can have the center console out pretty quick :)

Hope this gets your dash closer to coming out (but I don't envy THAT job!)

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:30 am

Just putting mine back together for the weekend, so I snapped a pic . . . might help. But maybe you've got it all taken apart now!! :wink: You can see the two screws on either side of the shifter, at bottom of dash.

Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: