WHY DOES THE WHOLE CAR VIBRATE?

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:10 pm

I have a type 45 which judders when pulling away it dos`nt happen when I raise the rev`s.I have fitted new engine/gearbox mounts about 5K miles ago,they all look good ,I had a new clutch at the same time,the suspension bushes look good,the propshaft was overhauled about 2yrs ago .I can`nt make it judder on tickover or with the rear wheels off the ground and running in gear.It happens when pulling away in either 1st or 2nd gear and with minimum revs

Hi John
I can answer your question with a fair bit of certainty, but you will not like it :(

I used to get bad clutch judder on customers Rovers about 10 years ago.

We used to fit a lot of clutches on Fords, Vauxhalls and Rovers, we only had problems with the Rover clutches. We used the same supplier for all our three part replacement clutches. But the Rovers would all come back, several a week with really bad clutch judder, some were really bad that the car would stall from stationary everytime. We replaced the clutch with another from the same supplier and these were just as bad.

The way we got around it was to switch suppliers for the Rover clutches. Most clutches that you get are reconditioned and we believed that the pressure plate springs were too weak causing the judder.

The problem you have now is convincing the fitter to replace the clutch under warranty for another kit from a different supplier.

Sorry

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:36 am

Jason Hi ,the reason I pulled the engine and did a job on it was because of the "clutch judder" The car showed no other signs a of clutch problems .The "new" clutch was from Chri Neils ,I shall be finding out if thety are new or recon.,and the juddering was still there after the rebuild so I assumed it was not clutch related YOU have put doubts in my mind ,if the clutch is a recon I will keep you posted
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:09 am

I have just spoken to CN and they assure me they supply Borg&Beck NEW clutches. NB these are in short supply as B&B have gone bust,according to CN `s
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:29 pm

To Triumphelan, it could be glazing on the flywheel surface, this can be caused by defective clutch parts. If and when you yank the engine, look at the flywheel and see if the color of the clutch surface area is all one color, consistent in it's appearance, or are there any "blued" areas...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:20 pm

Hi John,
Also check the bearing/bush in the end of the crank which supports the
gearbox input shaft while you have the clutch off.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:59 pm

Whilst I had the engine out I replaced the crankshaft bearing /bush .The only thing I did`nt do was to have the flywheel skimmed ,it had no deep scores and was flat all it had was very slight marks like an old gramaphone record [for those of us who con remamber what they are]
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:25 am

John

My clutch guy will only guarrantee a new clutch will not judder if you have him grind the flywheel at the same time as he supplies a new clutch. He has learnt from experience that unless you machine the flywheel any new clutch can give problems and result in a warranty claim on him !

I suspect the surface marks on your flywheel are sufficient to give you the problems experienced

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:42 am

I will have to put up with the judder if it is the flywheel ,I`ll just have to do "boy racer " starts
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: