door light and Interior lights

PostPost by: graham » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

The car is 73121873 - checking wiring diagram in manual it shows 4 no switches which operate door lights and interior lights 2 each side.
Wiring cable that came with car for interior lights appears to operate of drivers door and carries from drive side light across roof to pass side. Therefor why 4 switches as pass side seems unneeded.
Also does tail light wiring follow battery pos lead or is it located elswhere.
Graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Mine has the 4 switches to (infact they seem to be X headed bolts drilled to make a switch which in true Chapman fashion also hold the dash in), from memory 1 pair control the courtesy lights which come on when either door is opened and the other controls the individual red light on the back of its own door.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:31 am

Graham

I have the two switch set-up without the door or puddle lamps. The interior courtesy lights are switched to ground with purple/white wire. You require black ground wires to each dash bracket with ring connectors to provide a ground at the door switches. Each couurtesy light is supplied with a purple wire, hot at all times, fused.

Also front courtesy light assembly has a integral switch to ground. You need a purple/white to this lamp switch, along with a black ground to the light mounting screw, at least the way mine works. Switch on this light housing will turn on all the lights.

All the purple/white wires are tied together, so any of the two door switches or the front light switch will activate all interior lights.

I ran the loom for the trunk down the right side of the car along with the main positive from the battery. This worked well for me as main fuse box is now located in glove box in a LHD car. If RHD, would consider locating loom to left side, your option. As solenoid/starter is still right side, would leave main power lead right side.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: graham » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for the replies
Another small step forward !!!
Graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: graham » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Away from home at the moment so cant look at car but swithches are attached to purple/white and purple cables .At present door puddle lamps work,int lamps work when door opened but not sure if work on int switch on dash. Will follow up when I return home.
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gizze » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 am

Hi,
I am mid bodywork restoration and am somewhat confused (nothing new there) by the door switch arrangement on my car. The questions I have are as follows:
1. My switches are missing / too rusted to be serviceable. Where can I get new ones? If they aren't available to original spec are they available to the same style which utilizes the same holes etc?
2. I have metal strips running across part of the A posts by the switches (photo attached). Is this original? If so what purpose does it serve?
3. Is there a captive bolt on the dash bracket or is it just a lose nut which holds the switch in place?

Any help, would, as always, be appreciated
Attachments
Butlins 2011 090.JPG and
Gizze
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:25 pm

1. Yes they are available from the usual suspects (not sure of prices!)

2. Metal strip is the remains of an attempt to keep water away from its main point of entry through the doors. I think it is an original factory mod. I have a vague recollection that they are a Landrover part(??).

3. The main Crosshead switch bolt goes into the captive nut on the dashboard retaining brackets on each side of the car.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Gizze,

I've been beaten to it by Jeremy! :lol:

I don't know about the availability of the switches, maybe contact the usual elan suppliers?

I've seen quite a few late plus 2's and none of them have the metal strips so I would believe it has been added at a later date, wait, just noticed you have an early rare chrome windscreen surround, maybe the metal strip is original then... Later cars more fibreglass in the weak points.

There is just a nut and washer holding the back of the switch on the body on the dash bracket, if you look at the head of the switch, when the plunger is pressed in the head of the switch is a philips.

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gizze » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks fellas, I'll resist tearing the metal strips off then and start checking out the supply of some switches. I can just about see sense if the metal strips are to hold a rubber sealing strip and so direct water down towards the front of the door.
Cheers
Gizze
Gizze
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 am

Yes they are supposed to hold a rubber flap that direct the water away, but it looks like yours has perished. I would take plenty of pictures then remove it while you source a replacement (if you can!).

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Gizze, I opted to remove the metal strip, clean it up, and then re-install with pop rivets after paint work was completed. I installed some self adhesive sponge weatherstripping (about 3/8") on top of the strip to prevent water coming in. I also ordered a part in this area from Sue Miller, called the 'secondary seal'. What she supplied was a short length of press on weather seal that I installed on the curved finned bit on the top front of the door.

I am not sure how all this was put together in stock form, but I think some sort of weather sealing is required in this area. Here are some links that show some options, with a bit of the usual confusion between Elan & Plus 2. Searched on 'secondary seal door'.

elan-plus-f13/plus-door-seals-t19518.html

elan-plus-f13/secondary-door-weatherstrip-t14880.html

elan-plus-f13/rain-water-getting-t19436.html

elan-plus-f13/what-this-for-t18522.html

elan-plus-f13/secondary-door-weatherstrip-t14880-15.html

elan-plus-f13/another-bodywork-question-t13209.html

elan-plus-f13/water-dismay-t19918.html

I was trying to find an old post regarding the door switches, but can't seem to find it. IIRC they may be the same switches as used on the light pods on some models? Just a shot in the dark on this one, but seem to recall a thread on this a while back. My Federal Plus 2 uses a completely different micro switch setup than what was referred to, so I didn't follow all the details and might be completely off side. :?: At any rate, the stock door switches are a pretty crude looking affair that switch to ground, likely used on other cars of the era. Sorry can't find more details, but seem to recall the issue being covered.

Edit to add that Ray at Rdent.com lists a somewhat suitable replacement for the door switch. To see the listing, click on Plus 2 parts and scroll pretty much to the bottom of the listings. Shows two types; I think it is the first type for our Plus 2's. Note the replacement switch is slightly different threads than stock, but it is essentially the same looking switch. My guess would be if Ray is supplying in different threads the original is NLA from regular sources, but who knows.

Courtesy Light Switch
Replacement courtesy switch for Elan Plus 2 and Europa. Threads on this switch are 5/16-18 (coarse), not the original 5/16-24 (fine). You can run a 5/16-24 tap on these threads and get an acceptable thread if you want.

Ref. 50M6006R $17.50
Attachments
courtesy light switch at rd.jpg
Picture from Ray's site at RD Enterprises
courtesy light switch at rd.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gizze » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi,
I've now contacted some of the usual suppliers over here in the Uk without success. The best I got so far was (Paul Matty I think) who are looking to source a new supplier for them.
So RDent appear to be the only solution at present, I've dropped a line to them.
And now having read the links on 'secondary seals' I can get cracking with those - even though having spent all this time and money the thought of the car out in the rain mortifies me!
Many, many thanks to Innes, Jeremy and Stu for your responses and help.
Gizze
Gizze
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 pm

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1304651133 ... s&var=sbar

Appears to be the same switch at 3.99 on e-bay.
"Universal Door Jamb Domelight Switch"

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm

The switch is marketed by Dorman Producys P/N 85932. "Door Jamb Switch Self Grounding".

Should be available in the U.S. at any auto parts store. It looks like the correct part.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:00 pm

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 932-410817

Rock Auto parts sells them for $1.52 each.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: