Wind deflector for Elan?

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I'll take a picture of what came on my car when I purchased it. It is a similarly thick piece of plexiglass to what Alan has here. The only difference is that it is zip tied right up against the roll bar. Works great at all speeds. Very pleasant on the highway. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 pm

We must be all getting a bit soft. The idea of the wind blocker is not to eliminate
the wind totally but to soften or deflect it's journey around the car.

The S2 elan is quite open behind the seats, so as the air passes around and down
the sides of the car it spills up and over into the empty space behind the seats,
and creates mayhem in the cockpit.

The mesh used on the wind blocker allows the air pressure to equalize on both
sides which also helps eliminate wind buffeting... that horrible sound you get in
a sedan (Tin top) when windows are wound down part of the way.

The height of the blocker does not need to be very high to do its job.
But they do work without blocking all of the wind out... after all, we
buy and drive these classic cars for the raw, seat of the pants
driving experience.
Ceejay
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:17 am

I was going to say you are all soft with these wind deflectors BUT then I realised that my hardtop has not been off the car for over a month...
Attachments
IMG_0859[1].JPG and
getting soft in my old age..
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 am

Tell me about the rear air vents on your S2... are they real
or fake?
Ceejay
Live your dream-wear your passion.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Here is a picture of my wind deflector. I have only driven the car with it and don't notice nearly the wind buffeting that I used to experience with my Alfa. Could be the deflector, or could be that Lotus' just have less of an issue. The PO who installed it claimed that it made a big difference on the highway, before and after. Cheers, Dan
Attachments
wind deflector.JPG and
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:59 am

dougweall wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:I think I will continue the hunt/ quest to see what is the best deflector to fit. This would need to be removable of course. and hopefully stow able either behind the seats or in the boot.

Alex...

Alex,

A couple of guys at NYLOC have tried to conquer this problem, I have talked to them about it as I was thinking of doing the same "mod"
One answer was to use an MGF (I think it was) deflector, my mate had to make up some brackets etc to get it to fit in. He reckons he has a good fix.
The other answer although you have not got a roll bar ( which I have ) was to use some 2.5 mm micromesh from http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/netting/netting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this company, using velcro strips to fasten it to the roll bar. Again it is said to work quite well.
I am sure with your "Elan skills" you could make a collapsible frame to house some micromesh.

Regards,

Doug.

P.S. Will keep an eye open for your Elan at CLM 2010, alas I will not be in my Elan this year. I'll whisper it, Elise instead
I will be in the Lotus parking area though.

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I am really keen on making/adapting a wind deflector for myself. Does any one have any more info on adapting an MGF one to fit. I can see that it might indeed fit with some brackets made up and attached somehow to the sides of the car, but since these are quite expensive, even 2nd hand on ebay, I wanted to understand that it will indeed fit before going ahead and buying one. Who are the "guys at NYLOC" mentioned above in the post does one one know?
Thanks for any help.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Keith,

Now you have brought this up again, I will try and get a couple of photo's for you of the 2 solutions that I know of.

I belong to NYLOC (North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club).

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Doug.
That would be great ta. particularly of the brackets to mount it. I might just get one and have a bash at doing it. Can always re-sell it if I cant make it work I guess.
Funny I didn't consider NY = North Yorkshire, I just assumed New York. :D
Cheers.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 am

Well I did it and I must say what a huge improvement. It really does work. I used an MGF one bought off ebay. See here for details: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-chassis-f36/fitting-mgf-wind-deflector-into-elan-t28862.html
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 pm

I checked out Classic Additions and they do have them for Triumph Spitfire and MGB.

My first car was a 66' Misfire (as my brothers delighted in calling it), I think that it may be close to the same cockpit dimensions. I wonder if one of those is close enough in size to adapt?
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm

gordont wrote:I was going to say you are all soft with these wind deflectors BUT then I realised that my hardtop has not been off the car for over a month...

That's a fine looking car
Attachments
L1000962.JPG and
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cudabenefast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 am

IMG_1200.JPG and
Cold Comfort for Spyder Roll bar users - a simple blocker using the stowed hood in its bag with two velcro fasteners around the headrest posts - works perfectly, does not impinge on rear visibility and frees up some boot (trunk) space - very Chapman as the velcro is the only added weight!

Also the same group who have front anti intrusion bars and would like a left foot brace here is a simple development one mounted on the chassis bolt - Chapman again - more than one purpose!

Peter
Attachments
img_1188.jpg and
IMG_1199.JPG and
cudabenefast
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: