Camay Soap Pink Elans

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

As I recall, I think very few issues were published and the magazine folded quite soon after launch. Again, my memory is not serving me too well and I may have got the wrong publication, but I believe the publisher left a bad taste in the mouth with a fairly large number of Lotus folk.

Do feel free to correct me anyone with a better memory!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Yes I've got those issues as well - I recall subscribing to them just after the demise of club team lotus. I recall Miles saying he didn't get paid for his articles !!

Back on topic - Surely there exists a colour photo of the camay ?lan somewhere ??

Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Never seen a pink Elan but I have seen a pink Spitfire and I don't mean a Triumph.
Apologies for the off-topic content, but the pink P40 Warhawk (edit: during previous brain fade, I wrote Spitifire) wasn't intentionally painted pink. It was originally in desert camo colors which sun-faded through the decades to pink camo. When I used to see it at Oshkosh, it was owned by a lady who kept it "original".

Regards,
Tim Engel
Last edited by Esprit2 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wobblyweb » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Richard
how many copies have you? was 7 the full run?

It was a good magazine, just re-reading through them now and some very interesting articles, glossy paper, not too many ads and lots of variation.
wobblyweb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Esprit2 wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:Never seen a pink Elan but I have seen a pink Spitfire and I don't mean a Triumph.
Apologies for the off-topic content, but the pink P40 Spitfire wasn't intentionally painted pink. It was originally in desert camo colors which sun-faded through the decades to pink camo. When I used to see it at Oshkosh, it was owned by a lady who kept it "original".

Regards,
Tim Engel

Actually I was referring to this one:

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image8237.html

There was a whole series of Photo-Reco aircraft which were painted pink. This one was only this colour for a couple of years, maybe 4 years ago.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Although, admittedly I just scanned the discussion, but I am surprised no one mentioned (although it was probably way before most of you), but Playboy magazine in the '60s and '70s would give a "Playboy Pink" car to the "Playmate of the year".
When the car was chosen by Playboy the manufacturer would make a run of pink cars for that year. There were pink Mustangs, Barracudas, and others which would be seen on the road. There were also some British cars (XKE Sunbeam, etc.), but I would think they were one off, and no run of those cars was made.
The dealers had a hard time selling the cars, and they were either heavily discounted or repainted. As with all things collectible, though, if you have an original it is now worth something. The run of the cars was very low, as an example in 1968 the Ford Mustang Fastback was chosen and Ford made 25 cars in the pink color. If you have one, you could get a good price for it.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Spotted at Donington Park yesterday- d'ye think this is a Camay Elan? It was metallic pink; there was nobody around to ask, unfortunately.

EDIT: Something in the back of mind told me I had seen this car before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDm5gEdLpA
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm

YEE 7 used to belong to Mandy Hadfield, wife of Simon the famous historic racer. YEE 7 was used in the Beatles video of Free as a Bird.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: