Windscreen wipers

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi,
I have just completed a trip to Switzerland and back in my Elan (from the UK), everything worked well apart from my windscreen wipers (but at least they did work). Apart from not self parking and having no fast speed they seemed to have a life of their own. Sometimes when they were switched on they would not switch off..unless I slowed the car right down then they sometimes stopped.... :? I assume it's an earthing problem but any sugestions welcome before I start pulling the electrics to bits.

Thanks

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 am

Hi Carl,

I had a similar problem with the wipers refusing to stop on command - after advise from this forum I took the plastic connector block off and cleaned all the contacts and the problem went away. I think it's this connector that contains the limit switch for the parking feature..

Hope this helps

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:27 pm

I had a similar problem a month ago and the they stopped working completely. Had to go really fast to keep the screen clear.

It turned out to be an earthing problem. I didn?t find the culprit so I ran a new earth wire directly to the chassis. The rain that day was a bit of good fortune as the MOT was due the following week.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: