Lotus Elan

floor to chassis bolts

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 pm

So does Miles I expect, and his are the proper oval shape.
User avatar
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Location: South Coast, UK

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm

If the Bobbin is solid in the grp and it is just the thread stripped fit a Helicoil (they are stainless).
Buy a Helicoil Kit which includes Tapping Drill , Helicoil Tap + fitting tool.
Job done in half an hour.
Helicoils are stronger than the original thread in the Bobbin. They are used a lot in the Aerospace Industry with no problems.
I have bought from "HILLCLIFF" Tools ltd UK with no problems
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2357
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 am

Genuine and own brand? They should do the job but they certainly aren't like the originals. I have a replacement bonnet for one of my cars and it has these bobbins.

I did hear at one point that someone (Miles Wilkins??) had the licence to manufacture the original pattern parts. They should be very easy to reproduce as they're just a simple casting, drilled and tapped.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: 26 Aug 2006
Location: Surrey England

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 am

I was stuck some years ago and needed a 1/4" bobbin.
Found a length of 3/8" square rod and cut off a suitable length, drilled and tapped it then went around the outside with my angle grinder to make a "waist" on it and duly fibre glassed it in as per the manual instructions, its still there today and is fine, i just made sure the bolt had a good coating of copperslip.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 665
Joined: 16 May 2017
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 am

Col Croucher at Elantrickbits cast up replacement bobbins to the original pattern and was selling them, I dont know if he still does this but he is on this forum and may reply

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7513
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 am

mikealdren wrote:Genuine and own brand? They should do the job but they certainly aren't like the originals. I have a replacement bonnet for one of my cars and it has these bobbins.

I did hear at one point that someone (Miles Wilkins??) had the licence to manufacture the original pattern parts. They should be very easy to reproduce as they're just a simple casting, drilled and tapped.


He has a big box full of them.. :)
User avatar
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Location: South Coast, UK

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:14 am

661 wrote:Is there a UK source for 1/4" UNC bobbins?


If you have a lathe, or a friend with one, it's a few minutes work to whittle one out of a bit of brass hex bar.
I've made dozens, including all the different types/sizes for a complete body shell.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 772
Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Location: Napier New Zealand.

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 am

If I had to reglass in several bobbins and also to make them on my lathe preferring improvement over originality (they are after all hidden) and not wanting to ever do the job again I would use these:

https://www.bighead.co.uk/the-original-bighead/

Plenty of different head sizes, shapes, thread sizes, male female etc, standard is metric threads but they do imperial also, expect they will have 1/4 UNC unless they are only made for one exclusive customer in which case you could buy from them.

lighter, stronger, non corrosive, fit and forget.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1391
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Location: Northern France/ Sussex UK

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:30 pm

Chancer wrote:If I had to reglass in several bobbins and also to make them on my lathe preferring improvement over originality (they are after all hidden) and not wanting to ever do the job again I would use these:

https://www.bighead.co.uk/the-original-bighead/

Plenty of different head sizes, shapes, thread sizes, male female etc, standard is metric threads but they do imperial also, expect they will have 1/4 UNC unless they are only made for one exclusive customer in which case you could buy from them.

lighter, stronger, non corrosive, fit and forget.



I had seen these and really like their stuff, especially the stainless cable tie holders, however was trying to keep the threaded stuff imperial...?????????????..yes, I ask myself why, too?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 pm

and, I can't do much at the moment as the car went off to the cage fitters this morning..

img_0365.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 841
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: Barney » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:33 pm

661 wrote:
Chancer wrote: however was trying to keep the threaded stuff imperial...?????????????..yes, I ask myself why, too?


They do imperial as well - just need to speak with them. Cost uplift? probably!
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Location: North Lincolnshire, UK

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:25 am

For me it goes like this
1. thread in bobbin stripped, fit stainless steel free running helicoil.
2. hole too big for helicoil or oval wear e.g. bobbins for the bonnet in the wing.
Fit keyed insert which is even larger and made in stainless steel. With 4 keys you drive
into position to lock it solid. If the hole in the bobbin is worn oval you will need to make a
drill plate to guide the twist drill.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2357
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests