Elan (26R) Dash DXF?

PostPost by: jabingb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Does anyone have a DXF or other file format suitable for import into a CNC program for an Elan dash, preferably Series 2, RHD. After 35 years, my long languishing LightWeight is finally going to go back together and I want to put a proper looking wood dash in it.

Also, does anyone have specific knowledge of what a Series 2 LightWeight, aka 26R, dash looks like, abbreviated with a cubby on the left or full width, with or without glove box door? Thx
Jerry Bassler
P.S. Would also like to understand proper chassis and suspension arm colors?
Attachments
LW 26-S2-20, rt side.JPG and
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:11 pm

The photo is from the article "Lotus Elan GT"
link below on lotuselan.net

http://www.lotuselan.net/publish/article_364.shtml
it looks like a standard S2 except the warning lamp next to the glovebox,

I have made standard Elan S2, S3 and S4 from 7 ply 10mm Baltic birch plywood with a layer of my forvorite veneer burled walnut.
Attachments
65_dash_done_84.jpg and
Stock S2 dash I made from the original. I used the original as a pattern and two sided tape and a pattern cutting bit in a router table
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Jerry -

There is ( or use to be ? ) an out fit in Cambell Ca. called prestige that did lotus dashes and I recall them offering an S2 dash -

If you have an S2 - should be full width with really boring straight grain mahogany veneer ( S1 use oiled teak)

you did not ask, but some practical advise if you are going to race the car-

delete the glovebox door .

I would spend some time investiating useing 1/4 turn fastners to hold the dash in place - getting one out during a race weekenk to find the lose wire is a pain...

if you legs are long ( large ?) consider declareing your car an S1 and use the S1 dash, it will give your legs more room and its easier to get to the wiring with dash in place.

My S2 had an correct dimensions dash cut from Aluminum plate about 1/4 inch thick - the instruments were converted to Stuart Warner and the lucas switches ditched - I keep it because I have pictures of the car in the paddock in period with the dash, but, I have to tell you I am considering converting over to a wood dash.......

Chassis colors -

Red oxide and or Black for early cars - most racers I have seen get converted over to the machine grey used on most space frames in the day...

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Don't forget that the dash is an important STRUCTURAL member of the car.
Eric
64 S1
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:29 am

Try Randy at Prestige autowood. This was a post by some one else but the info is there.
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/prestige ... d_trim.htm
This is one of his dashes for the S3 coupe that was made for me. He has templets for all of the Elans and can make them out of any wood and finish you wish.

Sarto
Attachments
DSC00010.JPG and
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: johnc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:44 am

Another good source to have a dash, steering wheel, or shift knob made or refinished in the US is http://www.britishautowood.com/. He is located in Altamonte Springs, FL. and is very familiar with Loti.
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 am

As far as I know, and I have owned her since 1980, this is an original 26R right-hand drive dash-

Steve
Attachments
1965 Elan 26R dash.JPG and
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: deadline » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:26 pm

So back to the original question here. "Does anyone have a DXF" file for the S1/S2 or 26R.
I need to adjust the file for the race gauges I plan to use. So, I'm not interested in buying someone else dash.
Please let me know where the DFX file can be acquired.
Thanks,
Dan
'65 Elan S1, '66 Elan S3, '66 Elan 26R
Deadline Dan
USA, East Coaster
deadline
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: