Will I Lose My Bonnet?

PostPost by: 264889socal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Could some one please post a picture of the bottom attachment point for the two springs on the S2 bonnet? The PO attached the springs at an angle, which does not allow the bonnet to raise at the back when the latches are released. The Buckland book discusses this point, but does not include a picture of the lower attachment points.

Rob Walker
264889socal
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 pm

I just found 2 stout springs at the hardware store ---ed
Attachments
P1010038.JPG and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 264889socal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks so much. Makes perfect sense to make the attachment point at that location. Will make the change and now, just maybe I won't have to try to wedge my fingers between the body and the bonnet to raise it up.

Rob Walker
264889socal
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 pm

264889socal wrote: ..... just maybe I won't have to try to wedge my fingers between the body and the bonnet to raise it up.

Rob Walker

Mm - I keep a toothbrush in the glove box; the plastic handle is just about perfect for running along between the bonnet rear edge and the scuttle to persuade the catches to unhook. Technology provides the answer every time. :D
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:41 pm

I had the same problem, fitted a 26R alloy rad and a modern electric fan- could not get to the rack.
I fitted a small stainless steel fairlead (from a yacht chandlers), this is basically an omega shaped piece of steel with two screw holes. This is bolted through the glass firbe in front of the rack, small ally plate on the underside as a load-spreader. Spring is fitted through this- works great. If you want I'll photograph it.

I also fitted bonnet pins at the rear as I found it less than amusing when the bonnet popped open a few times at exactly 100mph!.

Cheers,
Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: s3swiss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 pm

rgh0 wrote:I removed the spring on my Elan bonnet many years ago as I got sick of trying to pull the spring off every time I opened the bonnet and got sick of holding it open with my head.

I put a strip of rubber foam on the fromt lip of the bonnet to hold it firmly down and stop the bonnet rattling.

As its a competition car I also use bonnet pins in place of the standard catches so its easy to pull the pin clips, push down on the front of the bonnet and the back pops up and it can be removed all in about 1 second. Without the pins its a lot harder to open a bonnet with the standard catches and loss of the bonnet much more likely.

cheers
Rohan

Thinking of doing same thing to my S4. Rohan - do you have any pictures of the brackets you use to hold the pins to the bulkhead? Looking at your photos I’d guess your pins are located about where the factory bonnet catches were? If so, that’s where I’m thinking as well.
s3swiss
New-tral

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

I have pins at the rear end and retain the spring but have added a stainless protrusion with a foam pad to stop a. the bonnet flying off if the spring breaks and b. stop any rattles. Simples :shock:

Bonnet lip.JPG and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: