I would say it did not get any bids because:

dash board
colour only some people like yellow
zero rated seller
time of year most people are on holiday or thinking about holidays
too high start price
world economy starting to look a little unstable
Looks like a very nice job.

It only took me 6 hours to change my 130 dash board :)
and a colour change respray would only cost a few hundered. As the spray job look quite good.

They are not fast cars to sell. I think a lot of people who like +2 s are quite thrifty (me included)

I like august in england even with the rain!
zeteclotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:59 pm

types26/36/74 wrote:
Yes but you dont know what "that" is.........reserve not met......if "that" was 15K or more would you still pay?..........just interested :roll:

well, i do in principle think it's worth 15k as a car, but something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. My problem is that if I paid 15k for a good one it seems I wouldn't then be able to sell it again for anywhere near that price (from what recent ebay experience would tell me). I would definitely be happy to spend 10k on one though.
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:44 pm

how about the flip side... what would you be happy selling yours for?
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:08 pm

the plus 2 makes the sexiest convertible ever -- :wink: -ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:27 am

guys - there's a +2 in this week's Classic Car Weekly for ?3,200 with a Spyder chassis already. Are these chassis all the same? I'm thinking that this could be a more straightforward conversion to Zetec as a lot of work has already been done in preparing the chassis, no?
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:46 pm

leedsj wrote:guys - there's a +2 in this week's Classic Car Weekly for ?3,200 with a Spyder chassis already. Are these chassis all the same? I'm thinking that this could be a more straightforward conversion to Zetec as a lot of work has already been done in preparing the chassis, no?

the zetec chassis is different, get the chassis number off the front cross member and check with spyder.
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Midlife » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Talk to Andy Widnall at spyder... I believe the engine will fit the chassis with some mods, but you will need to quite allot of work on the back end of the car and the transmission to take the torque, and the rear part of the chassis won?t take the alternative diff, hence the alternative chassis.
Midlife
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Guys I'm confused, I thought the whole Spyder concept was that the Spyder chassis would accept either the lotus gear or their alternative gear, have I been misunderstanding their sales stuff all this time?
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 pm

As far as I know its only the latest, 3rd, generation of Spyder space frames that take the full Lotus or alternative running gear straight in.

Previous to that they either only take Lotus running gear or later on they brought out a version that had a big enough tunnel to take an MT75 or Sierra/Voights box.
Dont think either of these were advertised to take the Zetec, probably will with a little relieving, and they wont take the diff for sure.

Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:56 pm

the current spyder chassis will take either the original or ford hybrid set up, to fit the zetec engine, there is a half moon cut out in the front crossmember (for the bottom pulley) and there is more room around the gearbox for the mt75. The MT will not go between the early spyder chassis rails as its too bulky.

Again, speak to spyder to get the full SP, I believe they can modify an early chassis, but again check.
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:59 pm

i think it's still a case of wait for a decent Zetec to come onto the market...
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:10 pm

leedsj wrote:
types26/36/74 wrote:
Yes but you dont know what "that" is.........reserve not met......if "that" was 15K or more would you still pay?..........just interested :roll:

well, i do in principle think it's worth 15k as a car, but something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. My problem is that if I paid 15k for a good one it seems I wouldn't then be able to sell it again for anywhere near that price (from what recent ebay experience would tell me). I would definitely be happy to spend 10k on one though.

oh boy, i've had to re-evaluate that one! looked into getting the Zetec conversion kit and nearly bought Richard's +2 from here... but it does cost a small fortune if you do it yourself, doesn't it? they don't seem to come up too often (there's a lovely red one with a black roof on US ebay at the moment) so I'm bracing myself for at least ?15k now... it's just finding one
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Apologies to the purists!

I personally wouldn't think twice about improving any car and stock elans certainly leave plently of room in this respect. I've had a sprint since 78 and it's er ....modded to suit me and better for it. I probably would never consider changing areas such as suspension or steering (I suspect Lotus knew more than I) but don't have any reservations about bigger radiators, ignition systems, better alloys etc. I prefer cars that work properly even if not wholly original to those that look factory fresh but which are, for transport purposes, inferior. I think these cars were built to a price originally!

Do any of those owners out there who criticise departures from originality own houses with upvc windows where wooden ones were the originals. I think too many owners "worship" these cars- they're only machines after all.

John

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 pm

I'm there John.. i don't want a car to drive on sundays - I want a classic AS my car. i've had several other classics in the past (and reliable things too, like Volvo Amazons) but there's the stress that the various bits are going to break whenever you want to go the distance.

anyone on the forum see a Zetec come for sale - please let me know.
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:51 pm

What a load of old rollocks...you guys may just be comparing a Spyder which has had ?20,000 to ?30,000 spent on it compared to an old banger of an Elan, or any other 30 to 50 year old classic car. Most old cars haven't been restored properly, if at all, but have had bits and pieces replaced as they've broken, with hundreds of ancient components left to go wrong. And they are unreliable...what a surprise!

A properly restored Elan, or Healey, or E Type, with the same amount spent, is a joy. Yes, a Zetec will probably last 200,000 miles before it needs to be rebuilt...maybe 3 times longer than a twincam, but that's about the only difference. Carbs are just as reliable as injectors, and considering the whole electrical package, a lot less to go wrong. Same goes for, wait for it, mechanical fuel pumps, points ignition and dynamos.

I'm kind of a purist (had you guessed?) AND I love the well engineered Spyder products. But spend the same money on a standard Elan, you may have to do a couple of hours more maintenance a year, but you'll have as much fun...and the car will be worth something when you come to sell it.

As for std cars 'needing' improvement, if they are rubbish to start with, then of course they do. My S3 never overheats, always starts and stops, in fact everything works as it should. And so does my BDA Plus 2...proof that. at 9mpg when pushed, the mechanical fuel pump works just fine and dandy.

I must admit that the S4 / S130 radiator is very marginal in heavy traffic, and with the current batch of rotoflex couplings lasting about 20 minutes, some improvement can be made. :D
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: