Elan Spyder Advice

PostPost by: dusty » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:45 pm

rdssdi wrote:
I now see a major part of the collector car enjoyment is to drive a car that reproduces the period driving experience.

Bob

I have to agree and will be restoring mine back to original.

HOWEVER

I won't have to use it as an everyday car. If I did I probably would take a serious look at the Spyder / Zetec route.

Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 pm

well - it's been enlightening - although I didn't mean to kick off Lotus WW3!
I do want a reliable Lotus, so that I don't have to have the usual Classic-in-the-garage-Focus-on-the-road charade but great as the Elise is, I'd just feel a bit of a city-boy driving one, whereas the Elan is kind of class-less, stigma free... just beautiful really.

I'm not a collector, and agree with the sentiment that Chapman wouldn't be saying 'oo, it must have those original joints I chose in a 5 minute tea break' but rather whatever makes it a better car. nothing on the road today looks as good, and if Spyder keep it driving well too, i'm happy.

so i'm set - if anyone hears of a converted car coming up for sale, i'd appreciate a nudge - james at klikhome.co.uk.

Many thanks guys. Hope you all hug and make up...

james
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:13 pm

guys - it's me again, after yet MORE advice... I know, I know...

there are +2s available (here, on e-bay etc.) that could be converted and a few of the posters here have been through the process it seems. Now, I think I'm pretty good at grasping the odd technical challenge, but I've never done anything like this (the furthest I've been mechanically is kicking the engine (a coventry climax was it?) in the back of my old Hillman Imp to get it to start!) I have the space to work on it, and Spyder look like they provide things a not-quite-but-almost IKEA kind of a way, so what do you think?
Should I steer well clear and wait for Zetec to come up (do they ever?) Or even pay someone else like Spyder to do the conversion (is that as phenomenally expensive as it sounds?)

james
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:37 pm

The Spyder (chassis & engine) bit of it is relatively straightforward, but there's no real instructions (just lots of pictures & calls to Spyder) it's restoring the 30 year old Elan that takes the time.

I bought my car with a beautiful roof, and pretty good paintwork & chrome. However, to get the car I wanted (something I could feel proud of) I still had to re-wire it and completely strip & re-carpet/upholster the interior. This took the time & effort (much more of it than I thought, and something I'd not really planned for!).

Genuine Spyder conversions do come up for sale occasionally, but there's not many of them, and their prices are usually a bargain compared to the cost and effort either the DIY route or Spyder ready made route (former in time, latter in ???).

My 2c

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:26 am

Thanks Niall. I get the impression this would be one of the things that looks quite straightforward but in reality throws up all kinds of technical problems that I just am not prepared for/would find it hard to tackle.

I think I'll just have to be content scouring e-bay...

mind you, you have to start sometime.., no?
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:46 am

theres one here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELAN-2S-Cla ... dZViewItem

where in the world are you?

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:37 pm

thanks for the tip off Mark... is this someone known to you guys? I'm in Norwich, but a trip to Manchester isn't out of the question.

james
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Guy's been watching this debate for a while, and here's my take on it.
I have a 72 +2S 130/5.
If I had the money ( which I don't) then I would have both. I would keep my current car a standard as possible, but would have the Zetec version, only if one became available ( like the one on ebay at the moment) or one that was just a shell, and I could do what I wanted to it, ie different seats, interior etc. Had Colin Chapman been offered a Zetec in 1973 then I'm sure they would have been fitted to Elans. Not sure that he would have paid too much money for them though.
Basically I'm saying take all the advice from this forum, and then make your mind up, either way you will not be disappointed, the elan is so much more fun that a family runabout. - just make sure you get a good one, or be prepared for some hefty bills, even if you do your own work.
Incidentally the yellow Elan on ebay, what steering column does anyone think is being used? Just curious.
Regards
Jeff.
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

not sure about the column, the dash looks weird being leather and not wood as well, the switches are different too(not a bad idea!!) whats the betting it wont sell?
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:58 pm

mmmmmmm I'd be tempted had I the money, looks like a quality job.
Only thing I don't like is the handbrake, perversely I like the umbrella, and the large centre "armrest"!
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:44 am

That ebay one looks very good, if not very 'original'

Handbrake gives you a genuine 'safety' brake, which was always a concern with a single circuit brake design.

Here's a picture of my conversion.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/556062181jbDHxD

(Any excuse to show off my roof!)

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 pm

well the ebay one didn't tempt me, although it looked like a great job technically. ignoring the 0 response seller, i'm not hot on yellow, but it was the interior that really disagreed with mes... much prefer the original wood dash. really like the oatmeal colour ones best. ho, hum. perhaps i am being to picky...

why do you guys think it didn't sell?
Last edited by leedsj on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 pm

leedsj wrote: why do you guys think it didn't sell?

Starting bid ?10,000.00 ........reserve not met

If I was in the market for a +2 (which I am not) I would have to think long and hard about spending 10K+++
Not saying it isn't worth it (well it isn't to me anyway) but no bids....draw your own conclusions :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:28 pm

if it was in a spec that i wanted (wood dash, red / blue / black / white) and the conversion was well done, i would pay that. I'd much rather have a good plus 2 than the equivalent value of say an Elise.
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:55 pm

[quote="leedsj] i would pay that. I'd .[/quote]

Yes but you dont know what "that" is.........reserve not met......if "that" was 15K or more would you still pay?..........just interested :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: