Foam filling

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:06 pm

You have to drive defensively to avoid all of the idiots on the street today, these side intrusions bars are for trees and phone poles, guard rails. A full cage is the only way to go if you want to play in traffic.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:54 pm

David and Sarto,
The paint sounds interesting - it wasn't around when I was working for GM! Unfortunately I haven't found a supplier in the UK - I'll try the US supplier though.

As to safety in an Elan, I think Gary's defensive driving is the best answer.
Anyway, after all the work on the bodywork stripping paint, I don't want to contemplate an accident!

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:06 am

Sean?s boot lid and Gary?s sills are good examples of the potential capability of foam for virtually no weight increase, but unfortunately it won?t make any real difference to safety as the body was not designed for such things. I have a full roll and side bar system which I have convinced myself that it will be of benefit in the event of a track day mishap, but am less optimistic for an open road collision with larger sedan.

However, having said all this, I have actually obtained a small quantity of industrial foam materials to fill the ?vast? voids formed by the front wheel arch wells which I planned to do before re-fitting the dash.

Now reading what David has posted, it seems that the noise reducing paint could be the way to go. I did look at http://www.quietcoat.com/ that Sarto posted, and if the web demo is to be believed it is the answer to everyones prayers for noise reduction. The only immediate problem is a UK or European source for supply. To ship a 1 US gallon of the paint from the US to the UK will cost about $145, including duty, VAT and RM costs. At today?s exchange rate this should be in the region of 74 GBP. Maybe a cheap option compared some of the alternatives.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 am

Hi Brian

My guess is, that my aquaintence in Wyoming with the foam filled sills would have bounced off the hay bales with little or no damage with or with out the foam. If you want to feel safe, put the foam in. If you want to be safe get a steel cage. Not a roll hoop but something similar to a ten point cage. main hoop of .125 inch and the rest can be .065 or .083.

Ten bucks worth of foam ain't goint to save you life, and the only way an Elan is going to be quiet is when you go deaf.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:57 am

Hi Brian,
You would think they would have had their products available world wide. Contact them as the stuff really works. Also they can't be the only supplier of that stuff or maybe something else that will do the same thing for much less. Sounds like a new business over there if you can find something.
At 65mph, in my coupe, the predominate noise now is the crack around the window which I never noticed before. With the 3 coats, new carpet pads and carpets even in the boot, it's almost like a modern car. Their earlier advertising said that the difference between a $15,000 car and a $60,000 car is about 30 db.

Cheers, Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ngs » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:24 am

SecondSkinAudio list a vibration absorbing paint.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/ ... ?p=ps&pg=2

They list one UK dealer and lots in North America.

Still searching for something similar in Australia.

Nigel
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:54 am

Brian,
I've looked at the UK website for Secondskinaudio but found no mention of the paint, I'll call them later.
If you find a UK supplier, I'm interested.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:40 pm

"He blew his mind out in a car..." It's commonly assumed that the "lucky man who made the grade" was Tara Browne, the heir to the Guinness fortune. The Beatles also produced a video years ago for their song, "Free as a Bird" that had dozens of visual references to past Beatle songs... including a scene with them walking by a crashed Elan Plus 2.

I found this on an obscure blog:

"Tara Browne, a friend of John Lennon and an enthusiast of the London Counterculture and, like all its members, a user of mind expanding drugs, who on 18th of December 1966, drove his LOTUS ELAN at high speeds through red lights in South Kensington, smashing into a van and killing himself. Whether or not he was tripping at the time is unknown, though Lennon clearly thought so. Reading the report of the coroner's verdict, he recorded it in the opening verses of A Day in the Life, taking the detached view of the onlookers whose only interest was in the dead man's celebrity. Tara's Girlfriend, model Suki Poiter was also in the car, but was not injured."

Now, what's this rumor about Paul being dead..?

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, FL
Attachments
He blew his mind out.jpg and
From the Beatles video "Free as a Bird."
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:07 pm

Looks like a S1 Elan to me.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:23 pm

I think you're right. (I don't have a Plus 2 to compare it to, but it looks wider than a baby Elan in the video, however that could be the camera lens.) But I guess the tail lamps, boot lid and roof say otherwise. :wink:

Here's the actual Tara Browne wreck, and it was an S1.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, FL

P.S. You can find the"Free as a Bird" video on YouTube.
Attachments
tarascar.gif and
Tara Browne's actual Elan
Last edited by archigator on Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Filling all the available nooks and crannies and box sections with foam will have quite a good affect on stiffening panels and reducing noise ? but I doubt very much that you will be able to notice the difference. And I?m still going to fill the Tannoy like wheel wells, just for the hell of it. Even if it makes say, a 15dB improvement, the quality of the noise is probably so bad that the human ear would not detect the improvement.

Mike,
I did contact Quiet Coat - thats where I got the costs from.
Second Skin Audio http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/ ... ?pg=2&p=ps does something similar, but not into Europe.
The costs appear to be about the same, but they say it?s not to be applied to plastics ? maybe that condition does not apply to fibre glass.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:08 pm

archigator wrote:who on 18th of December 1966, drove his LOTUS ELAN at high speeds through red lights in South Kensington, smashing into a van and killing himself. Whether or not he was tripping at the time is unknown, though Lennon clearly thought so. Reading the report of the coroner's verdict, he recorded it in the opening verses of A Day in the Life, taking the detached view of the onlookers whose only interest was in the dead man's celebrity. Tara's Girlfriend, model Suki Poiter was also in the car, but was not injured."

No Lotus content, but for all of you trivia buffs, December 18, 1966 was Rolling Stone Keith Richard's 23rd birthday. Also, Suki Poiter, actually Potier moved on to date Rolling Stone Brian Jones who was murdered on July 3, 1969.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:08 pm

Hi Frank

I thought that Brian Jones drown in a swimming pool, ruled accidential.

Take a look at that wooden steering wheel with the turn signal stawk stilll attached. How did that happen? maybe it snapped the column or was it cut off to exticate the body.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:52 pm

garyeanderson wrote: I thought that Brian Jones drown in a swimming pool, ruled accidential. Gary

I think that is true but I saw a program that said the "builder"on his death bed had confessed to killing Jones :shock:
But back to things Lotus and I think that crashed Elan is actually an early S2 as the number plate is a "C" registation (1965) and it appears to me that an "S2" can be seen below the boot lid,as far as I remember the S1's had 1600 below the boot or 1500 for a few very early cars.
I've included a pic of my Nov 64 S2's badge
Attachments
S2 rear badge.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:17 am

Brian,
Ian Ward's book, "Lotus Elan Coupe, Convertable: Plus 2" states on page 65, " The S1 featured two seperate tail lamps either side of the registration plate - the easiest way to tell an S1 quickly."

(The S1 pictured on this page in Ward's book has "Lotus Elan 1600" lettering on the right rear deck also.)

Apparently seperated tail lamps are NOT exclusive to the S1, as your S2 obviously has seperated tail lamps as well... and so does the crash photo. It would appear that the S2 must have changed to clustered tail lights sometime AFTER November 1964. :idea:

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, FL
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: