Job started. a few pointers needed please

PostPost by: kenny » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:17 pm

As I said on my opening post on this forum a week or so ago I've bought what appeared to be a 80% finished Early Elan + 2 project with most bits to finish. However like most "bargains" it needs more than I thought.
Its sitting on a new Lotus galvanised chassis and all running gear and suspension are fitted ( in a fashion) body is also on and painted........this is causing no end of grief as although the car looks like it is almost there, I've already had to strip a lot of it down to correct and retrofit missing items.

Anyway thats a brief waffle at where I'm at, now for a couple of questions which I just can't find answers to at present.

1) I want to finish off under the car ie spanner check etc. then drop it down and finish the rest, but hanbrake and cable are not fitted or fuel lines. Am I right is assuming that that the h/brake cable goes through the hole in drivers side at bottom of backbone and exits just before the rear wishbone pick up point? (it seems to be in line with tree) also if it is how the hell do you thread it through, I've tied rods and all sorts to it but I can't get the thing through the exit hole.

2) I assume again that the corresponding holes on the backbone on passenger side is for fuel, again if so I had a good length of aeroquip braided standard fuel hose from my Caterham days spare, but it is too large for the hole.........is this why the standard original black pipe on the +2 is so small a diameter?

3) This car has its exhaust running virtually plumb centre down the backbone to its transverse mounted backbox under boot. I've noticed its brake line runs about 1 1/2 inches away from the pipe down length of car in clamps provided......I assume this is in order, it just looks close to me.

4) Finally my steering column attatches totally differently to a mates plus2 and it is very wobbly. It attatches via a pressed steel bracket that bolts via 2 bolts to bulkhead and there are two captive nuts that seem to line up with nothing. There is a lot or rust damage on it and I wonder if its complete.............I will try and attatch a photo of it now but if I can't I could email to anyone who may be able to identify if it is complete and correct.

Thats it for now, sorry for such a long one, but this just is not as simple as bolting a 7 together, tons more interesting and challenging though.

Thanks a lot lads.

Regards,
Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 am

Hi Kenny - glad to see your enjoying the challenges of putting the car together

The holes are the correct ones for the handbrake cable, its easiest done with the body off the chassis and no other mechanicals in place, you just need to keep working at it if its assembled until you can thread it through.

The fuel line runs inside the backbone at the top on the RHS, there is supposed to be a spring clip half way along that holds it up to the top of the backbone. The fuel line is supposed to be fitted before the body goes on, I have never tried to do it after the body on. If you dont want to take the body off then you probably need to run it in the location you suggested unless you can reach in far enough to fit the spring clip to the little hole in the chassis, you may be able to reach it via the access hole in the body and chassis at the rear of the gear box.

No problems with the brake lines next to the exhaust that is the normal location and has been fine on my cars for many years

The steering column outer tube is attached by two clamps. one at the top connects the column to the dashboard. One at the bottom connects to the fibreglass in the top of the footwell. If both clamps in place it should not wobble around. I beleive all cars used the same arrangement.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:18 am

Rohan, Many thanks for comments and answers. You are correct it is a real pain with the body on, I think the previous chap bolted on what he could without thinking, leaving serious hassles now. It would have been easier as a complete pile of bits.
Hope I thread the brake cable today.........what a pain.
I will have to think of a new route for the fuel line then.
Pleased you confirm exhaust/brake line is OK.
My steering column mounts......they sound different to yours and are certainly different to a mates 1969 +2, mines a '68 car, it looks as though they may take the handbrake umbrella as well, but again I have no pics to work off. It is interesting trying to find where the bits go.........with the 7's I've worked from a "build manuel" I've now realised the "workshop manual" is a totally different beast, and I have Two boxes of bits left with no pointers as to where they go :oops:

Wish I could post a photo here of my sterring column bracket but it says "file to big"

Many thanks for your swift info.

Regards,

Kenny

PS if the hole opposite the handbrake hole (passenger side) is not for fuel, I wonder what it's there for.......This is fun!
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:54 am

Kenny,

for help in posting attachments, have a look at the thread entitled "Attachment question" in the forum "Questions and Suggestions".

I think this will help.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19 am

Thanks Stuart, will read it through again now.

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 am

Here are pics of Kenny's bracket
Attachments
SB3.jpg and
SB2.jpg and
SB1.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:26 am

What a gent, What a site!! I thought the 7 club site was the holy grail but this beats it for me.

Thanks again

Regards,

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:31 pm

kenny wrote:PS if the hole opposite the handbrake hole (passenger side) is not for fuel, I wonder what it's there for.......This is fun!

It's also for the handbrake cable, but on an LHD car. (Or maybe for the optional passenger handbrake. :wink: )
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: