New rules on paint

PostPost by: Gasman » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi guys

What are people planning to do with the UK's rules due to come in next year essentially stopping the supply of cellulose paint?

If I bought some now how long can it be stored?

Are 'water based', which seem to be the alternative, the same as 2 pack? As I think they won't supply 2 pack to DIY.

Or am I overoptimistic thinking I can get a reasonable job spraying myself?

All opinions welcome

Mark
Gasman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:14 pm

There will be an allowance for classic restoration uses for the traditional paint.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:48 pm

At a premium, no doubt.

Never mind, we can wait for some to come up on on ebay...........

and pay even more (vbg) !

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:10 am

according to the FBHVC cellulose will remain available for the restoration of historic/classic vehicles, 2 pack is being banned, but the same applies.

According to an article in Practical Classics, water based paint can be sprayed 'at home' as long as you follow a few precautions, it is slower drying and therefore needs a gentle flow of warm,dry dust free air across the painted item(body shell for example). Because it takes longer to dry, dust and insect contamination will be major issues for the DIYer.

no doubt in time the paint manufacturers will come up with faster drying or even "air drying" water based paint.

I'm using 2 pack and holding my breath in a single garage!! :lol:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:06 pm

You might want to check with some marine supply sources. They problably could supply 1- and 2-part polyurethanes and epoxies. These paints are commonly used on fiberglass boats, but color choices may be somewhat limited.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:42 pm

bill308 wrote:You might want to check with some marine supply sources. They problably could supply 1- and 2-part polyurethanes and epoxies. These paints are commonly used on fiberglass boats, but color choices may be somewhat limited.

Bill

Good point!! There was a coment in the Practical Classics article about it being OK to purchase MG Tartan Red cellulose or 2K to paint a boat!!:lol:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: