Spring clip behind dash

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:07 pm

There is a spring clip on the back of the old dash I am stripping out that held something 20mm x 30mm in size, positioned just below the tacho.
There was nothing in this clip - I was wondering if anyone knew what it was meant to hold.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:07 pm

bcmc33 wrote:There is a spring clip that held something 20mm x 30mm in size, I was wondering if anyone knew what it was meant to hold.

Things that come to mind are (1) a voltage stabilizer (2) a flasher unit
Usually the V.S. is on the rev counter or speedo mounting but I seem to recall seeing something as you describe holding a small flasher unit although I think it was on Europa.
Can you post a pic?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Attached is a picture of the spring clip. I should have said that it is from a Sprint and does not have a hazard relay as per the S4 wiring diagram.

This reminds me - I will not replace the vacuum switch as I am going electric headlight lift, and therefore, it will be opportune to fill the aperture with a hazard light switch. So perhaps I shall refit the spring clip to hold the hazard relay.

Brian Clarke
Attachments
Spring Clip on Elan Dash.jpg and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 pm

Pretty sure you'll find the oblong Lucas flasher unit will fit in there as snug as a bug :)

Of course if you fit a cylindrical one like I did on mine, then it doesn't :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:31 pm

I had a look at my bits and I have a Lucas Flasher unit (see pic) that is correct, It probally came out of my Sprint when I fitted 4 way flashers as I used a heavy duty VW electronic unit.......bit of "the old memory fade" if you look close you can see where the spring clip used to hold it.
Attachments
lucas flasher unit.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ztp » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:52 pm

bcmc33 stated:
"This reminds me - I will not replace the vacuum switch as I am going electric headlight lift, and therefore, it will be opportune to fill the aperture with a hazard light switch. So perhaps I shall refit the spring clip to hold the hazard relay. "

What do you plan to use for the lifts? I have a 67 FHC that, if I ever get going on the rebuild, I plan to do something to replace the vacuum lift system.

Carl
ZTP
'67 Elan S3 SE FHC
Ztp
New-tral

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Zip,

I have obtained a pair of headlamp lifters from a Toyota Celica from a scrap yard. My plan is to copy what Elanmann99 has done.
See his subject; Electrically Raised Headlamps dated May 2006. He shows a good picture of a Supra motor which looks exactly like the ones I have obtained.

Brian Clarke
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: