S4 bumper strip

PostPost by: triumphelan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:27 am

How is the plastic chromed infill between nose cone & bumper fitted ,is it fitted before the bumper and the bumper forced upwards or is it forced into the gap whilst the bumper is in place.It states in the manual that it is held in place with a self tapping screw ,mine has no screw it is just a tight fit .
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:57 am

I`ve fitted these with the bumper fitted but loose,you need a VERY hot day and leave the strip out in the sun as the strip distorts unless it is heated up, leave the strip "too long" and press the strip between the body and bumper working from the middle out. When it is in place stick masking tape over it to hold it to the body, remove one end bumper bolt and move the bumper away from the body to enable you to get a small pop rivet or self tapper in the end going upwards through the strip into the body and replace bumper bolt, do the same at the other end.
Tighten up the bumper and remove the tape, cut and trim up the end of the strip.
I've heard of people warming the strip with a hair dryer but I have not used this method but either way it MUST be heated or you will end up buying an other one.......good luck.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sarah Ryan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:22 am

Hi the strip has one edge wider than the other if you look closely. I would recommend you place the narrow edge facing inwards as I have found it is easier to shape it to the body when heated. If you have a close fitting bar ie a narrow gap the strip will stay inplace if you hold it in place with tape to keep it down. On the edge where the bumper bar screws into the body you can loosen off the bolt push in the strip & close the gap by gently pushing the bar up to close the gap & tighten the nut. By doing that as I have you don't need to pop rivet or tap a screw to hold it.
You must heat the strip up as most are probably new old stock & the plastic is brittle.
Sarah
Sarah Ryan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andrewdmoore » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:24 pm

I started at one end & heated it with a hairdryer as I fed it in to the other end
andrewdmoore
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Yes hair dryer makes the job easier.

FWIW I bonded mine in with a small bead of windscreen bonder (Tiger seal or similar) It worked really well and gets rid of the ugly screws at the ends

The only problem will be when I need to remove it ............
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:31 pm

Hello all,
When I replaced mine I found that the P.O. had attached the strip to the bumper with about 10 so small pop rivets at intervals all along its length, so I did the same - being careful to heat the strip with a hair drier. You then have a bumper with the strip attached, which you can then fit to the body as a unit. Of course you've just added the weight of 10 pop rivets....
Cheers
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: